Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Charles Alsheimer's 2012 Rut Predictions - Ohio Edition

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
My observations don't jive well with Charlie right now. I think we are still in the early seeking phase here. It's been awful slow that's for sure...

blemas

Summit County
I am with you Jesse. I am hoping that he is about a week behind. I am glad though, previous commitments and grad school have left me with yesterday as my only day out in the woods till the 17th. I saw nothing but does yesterday and the only buck my wife saw was a first year buck with some promise.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I don't buy being in lock down already, but it sure feels like it. I leaning towards a bad moon as much as anything. Weather is perfect other than being windy. It's strange though because I'm not even seeing little bucks chase and the does I see are alone.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Wednesday and Thursday was busy. I don't think the wind would keep me from getting down if I only got to do it once a year.

huntnfool

Thornville
I changed my vacation to this week from next week. Due to the prediction and the weather forecast. So far my woods are slow and all my buddies are reporting the same. Saturday morning had young 8 chase a doe and grunt and really put on show. Then a 4 point cruising around 1030 and that was all I seen that morning. Today I only got to hunt the evening and i jumped 2 bucks and doe bedded to together. Then had doe enter the field about 430 then I seen nothing till last light. Not sure I could even shoot that how dark it was getting. I will say the field lit up with deer and the bucks were chasing but they were young bucks.

So yeah as of right now I am kicking my self in the ass for switching weeks but then again 7-11 is uaually pretty good.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
We can think its slow, not happening etc. but look at all the bucks hitting the ground the past three days. They are on their feet during daylight. They may still be seeking and the chase hasn't peeked but it's on it's way. It'll happen sometime this week IMO.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
My observations don't jive well with Charlie right now. I think we are still in the early seeking phase here. It's been awful slow that's for sure...

I agree. I think the encounter I had Thursday evening just happened to be a doe that was possibly coming in early. Haven't seen anything since then to prove it's time.