Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Charles Alsheimer's 2012 Rut Predictions - Ohio Edition

Mao

Coshocton, OH
Thanks for posting this Jesse. I don't get D&DH anymore. I just use this guide as a very general idea. In past years it has been close on many occasions. One funny thing that I always notice is that my cousin, JPN and I are always opposite on rut activity. He hunts Warsaw/Killbuck Area. I hunt closer to Coshocton. Lets say 12-15 miles apart. Even being that close, we consistantly have seen rut behavior at different times. It seems I always see the rut activity first. Then when it dies down, his area becomes hot. I dunno? Lol.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
No vacation left for me this year due to the baby and some other projects, but I hope to be in a stand almost every evening beginning the last weekend in October up until youth gun season.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
It looks like I am only busy 2 days during that time period. So the other days look OK. It's great being retired but difficult at times being older. Good luck to all and maybe this will be my year as I never really put any real effort into it in years past.
Frank

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Just talked to the boss man about pulling 4 10's next week so I don't have to take vacation to go to Strouds and he's on board! That leaves me with 7 days for bow season, 3 for the kid, and 1 to use on the gun opener. And that's if I don't get paternity leave!!!

gavennn

For those who are interested after doing some research further that would mean the ruts this year would be like that of 1995 and 2004. Both of the years seen record deer harvest and spike the number of P&Y deer or better killed. Couple that with what some are saying is a bumper crop of acorns. Should be some bigguns fall this year.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
For those who are interested after doing some research further that would mean the ruts this year would be like that of 1995 and 2004. Both of the years seen record deer harvest and spike the number of P&Y deer or better killed. Couple that with what some are saying is a bumper crop of acorns. Should be some bigguns fall this year.

You're getting my hopes up man!!!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
We are inching closer fellas!!!

As things stand right now, I have 7 days of vacation to use during November. My plan right now is to hunt hard this weekend, then take Halloween off if the weather looks good. Unless I see a reason to take another day, I'll skip the 1st and 2nd, then hunt the weekend of the 3rd and 4th. I'll go back to work on the 5th to get things settled for the week, then play the weather from there on out. Baring any serious weather issues, I will most likely take the 6th through the 13th off.

Won't be long and we will be here reporting of grunting, chasing, dogging, and big buck dirt naps!!! :smiley_clap:

nis1

After Friday, the only obligation I will have is school on Tuesdays from 9:00 to 2:45 and Thursdays from 9:00 to 1:30 I will be spending nearly all other day light hours in the woods.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Just looked over the solar/lunar data and solidified my vacation. I'll be off Halloween and will have a 1/2 day of flex time on the 2nd to get in an evening hunt. I'm off the 3rd through the 6th, work the 7th, then off the 8th through the 13th. Can't wait!!!

gavennn

I have found that in licking county in the woods we hunt charlies predictions are usually a week ahead of when i see the chase. I am taking off this year 8th 9th 12th and 13th so im packing all my marbles into those 6 days.

RacknRoll

I am leaving work this afternoon to try out the new Kodiak Truck Tent I just purchased. I am going to plant my butt this weekend and November 02-16 right at the farm I hunt! It is 90 minutes from home so evening hunts are out and the local flea bag hotel gets expensive. I'll drive to a truck stop for a shower, though not preferred. This year, there will be no excuse except not playing the wind correctly!