Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Charles Alsheimer's 2012 Rut Predictions - Ohio Edition

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
If you guys have not seen it already, the September issue of Deer & Deer Hunting featured Charles Alsheimer's 2012 Rut Forecast. We have been talking a good bit about the moon here lately and Charlie uses the "rutting moon" to base his rut predictions each year. What he terms the rutting moon is the second full moon after the autumn equinox, which occurred on September 22nd this year and this was the first time since 2004 that the equinox has happened in September. So that places the rutting moon for 2012 on October 29th, making it only the 4th time since 1995 that we have had the "kickoff to the rut" occur in October.

Mr. Alsheimer's predictions for the 2012 season are as follows:

Seeking - October 29th through November 5th
Chasing - November 2nd through November 9th
Breeding - November 9th through November 16th

Alsheimer put his finger on the "sweet spot" being November 3rd through the 12th this year and the sweet spot is that time when deer activity is the best it will be all year. The thing I find most important based on the past few ruts is that he considers this year's rut to be a synchronized rut. By having a synchronized rut, it will be an intense rut with peak breeding taking place before the 15th or 16th. My observations over the past few seasons have been that we are not experiencing the stereotypical "peak rut" type of activity and it has really killed the rut hunting in my area. Couple that with warmer weather and a full moon, and forget it being a great rut to hunt.

The first new moon after the rutting moon will fall on November 13th and it always occurs during peak breeding. Like we have been discussing in the moon thread, the moon will rise and set with sun that day, remaining overhead all day, meaning it could very well be the best day of the season if the weather cooperates.

So as we inch closer to this magical time of the year, let's keep tabs on what we are seeing here in this thread. And for the time being, I would be interested to hear from those of you that pay attention to Charlie's predictions and how they have proven themselves, or not, over the years.

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
I never ended up reading the full blown report until now. I just based my leave off kinda when I could take it and that he predicted a "usual" rut this year So the 29-7th it was...

woodyw333

Cincinnati Oh
Due to a few mishaps this year I only have 1 day of vacation left.. I guess I got to sit down and figure out what day to take it.. Any suggestions?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Due to a few mishaps this year I only have 1 day of vacation left.. I guess I got to sit down and figure out what day to take it.. Any suggestions?

November 13th. Unless you don't have to put it in ahead of time, then play the weather on the 3-4-5 or the 12-13-14.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm hoping to knock down a big old Halloween buck this year...

Only because I won't be in Ohio when the deer start going ape shit. :(

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have 11 days left and need one for next Friday, leaving me with 10. I have to save at least one for opening day of gun, leaving me at 9, and I need 3 for the baby. So I effectively have 6 days to use. Still not sure how I want to go about it just yet...

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I've still got four days of vacation left. I have them scheduled for my four day turns before long break, which would give me the 9th-23rd off. Depending on what I see during the week leading up to Halloween, I may switch my vacation to my three days, which would give me the 30th-11th off.

epe

Lancaster
I have 5 days left, but got drawn for a state hunt so that leaves me with 4.. Might take 2 4 day weekends...

huntn2

Hudson, OH
I am burning 1/2 day next Friday to get to Strouds Run. Then I am taking 10/26 but that will be more of a family day...hoping to get a morning or evening sit in. Finally, I have 11/6-11/9 off so I am hoping for great weather and action sometime between 11/6 and 11/11...

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Cough cough cough, this cold might start getting worse in 3 weeks! Rotflmao

J/k, I've got more than enough vacation to have ample time to hunt, now whether a shooter walks by my tree is another question. Lol

Gordo

Athens County
The boss man already knows I'm worthless around that time of year and usually does a pretty good job accepting it.

A Halloween buck would b awesome....