Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Making a move

at1010

*Supporting Member*
1. many of you saw I got a nice buck on camera, one in particular.

2. How much longer will Acorns be around, My trees where still dropping some this weekend.

3. Is it to late to make a move, and hang a set this weekend over a logging road/oak flat to try and get after one of these bucks?

I got a spot a hundred yards behind my cabin, loaded with acorns, a few big rubs, and I think it might be where the big buck is hanging out in the mornings/evenings.

Gordo

Athens County
Im about to hang one to hunt it the next couple evenings. Gonna b EXTREMELY careful in regards to scent and getting in and out of there ASAP. This spot is easy to slip in and out of too. Its a gamble

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The acorns will last as long as they will last, so the best thing you can do is keep tabs on them. If that is the only type of quality food outside of browse, then I wouldn't expect them to last real long. All the deer I have been seeing are hitting the acorns hard right now.

As for hanging a set, Wayne is right about hang and hunt it, or hang it and let it sit for a while. If you are going to hang it and wait to hunt it, try to get it hung in the rain and/or at midday. Be sure to go in clean and smoked up, wear gloves, and keep your lane trimmings to a minimum. If you need a hand getting it hung, let me know and maybe I can help out...

at1010

*Supporting Member*
thanks guys!

I am thinking of just using some screw in steps, and a hangon I got in the barn.

Get it up and either sit it that nite or next morning. The deer are fairly used to sent on my farm, I fill feeders with my ranger, and Ill have them on camera 2 or 3 hours later right where I was standing.

The spot I am thinking on an oak flat, on a ridge that overlooks a clear cut(200 yards away), and a pine thicket in front of me that has another Oak flat about 50 yards away.

I know the bucks cruise it, just a matter of when they do. I know I have kicked deer out of this area walking out of my stand at night. That is why I think if I have a stand there, I might be able to catch them, before they get to my deep woods plot, and they are eating acorns in the lite.

Its all a gamble tho, who knows really!!!

Ohiobowhunter1

Columbus
The best chance is to hunt and hang, then don't over hunt it. We all have spots that produce year over year but the key is to not overhunt. Right wind, temperature, and time of the year make it a factor to me when hunting stands like that. I say get in there, hang it and hunt it!

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Do you have a climber? One of my coolest hunts ever was back in 07' when I went into a spot, went up in a climber, and killed one of the 8's on my wall that same evening. It was the first time I hunted that spot that season and it was the first time I was even in there. Total surprise to the buck.

Either way, if you can hang your set quietly, hunt it, but only do it all if the wind is right. Consider it a quick ambush.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Do you have a climber? One of my coolest hunts ever was back in 07' when I went into a spot, went up in a climber, and killed one of the 8's on my wall that same evening. It was the first time I hunted that spot that season and it was the first time I was even in there. Total surprise to the buck.

Either way, if you can hang your set quietly, hunt it, but only do it all if the wind is right. Consider it a quick ambush.

Good plan! I very rarely hunt out of a climber, but the number of times I've been successful on "good" bucks is really high considering how relatively few times I've used them. I suppose it's similar to the way Jesse and the boys are using their milenium stands and sticks. Sneak in and hunt!