Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Flashlights... Red lens or white???

gavennn

I have Used White, Green and Red.

I used a white for a while I could see better. The side effect was different. Because I could see better I tended to travel unconscious quicker less chance of stepping in and run into stuff.
Red gave me best night vision but when its dark i struggled with them. Another side effect I try to pack light and it would never fail i would forget a white light to track blood with. red light, red blood = bad LOL ( i Know dont ask )
Green gives almost as good vision as white. and doesnt seem to spook deer. If i use a colored light this is the one i tend to use. It is very noticeable though especially if your trying to hide your position in the woods.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I think johnr is right on that one too.

I used brock's suggestion this morning on a small 8pt. Got within 10ft. Tried talking to him. Bolted like no other. Next time I wont talk to them. Lol

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I think johnr is right on that one too.

I used brock's suggestion this morning on a small 8pt. Got within 10ft. Tried talking to him. Bolted like no other. Next time I wont talk to them. Lol

Phil, you don't want to talk to them until they are close enough to make you nervous. When they keep coming, and start turning their head off to the side at a matter of feet, start talking!

I just told Joe last evening on the phone that I don't know why folks don't believe these lil tricks, you know, like using smoke and so forth... I told a guy that used to hunt with me to start using a white light to stop spooking deer. As with smoke, he didn't believe me at first either. I saw him waiting for me across a 350yard long field one evening. There were 6 or 8 deer between us. I hopped out of my stand, flipped on my light and headed towards him, walking right through the group of deer. When there is that many, some of them will trot off a short distance since they arent really "in the light", but they don't spook badly. After that evening, I never saw him toting a green light again.
BTW, LED lights do not work as well as regular old bulb lights, which are becoming harder to find.

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I use a white light and have no reason to believe I should be using anything else. Mine has two settings and the lowest one is perfect for finding your way without lighting up the woods...

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I always use the red light on my headlamp, unless I absolutely need the white light. I always felt that if the deer didn't actually see the red led lit up in the head lamp, that they wouldn't see the light. It also allows my eyes to adjust better to the darkness.

This morning on the way in though, I bumped a couple deer off the edge of the field, and I couldn't help but think about what Brock said about about using a white light and keeping it on them. I wondered if it would have made a difference.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm guessing it would have. If you don't get the light on them, they will often trot off a short way. However, you get 'em in the beam and they are yours to manipulate. They simply don't react negatively. Here is how I see it. Deer have no difficulty seeing you when you have NO light - they spook everytime. A red light isn't bright enough to mess with their vision, neither is an LED in white...at least not as well as a regular old bulb. I think they can see the man holding the light unless it's just a straight white light. Just a guess of course, I've never been a deer. :)

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
If you are nervous about trying it and know a coon hunter or trapper, aske them what they think...

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I can see what you are saying Brock. But, if you were walking to your stand, had the light in there eyes, and then climbed up the tree, do you think they would still come near your stand location? Or are you just talking about not completely blowing them off the reservation?

I'm usually red or green light (if any) going in, then going out at night I usually use a white light. I don't want a deer to see me walking into my stand, I just feel like I've pinpointed my location and really degraded my chances for the morning hunt.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I've never had one follow me all the way to my stand. I turn off the light before climbing up. It's never really been an issue. I've had deer walk 20 yards to one side or the other for over 100 yards but never all the way to the stand.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm not calling you a liar, Brock... I've just never experienced it for myself. However, my headlamp is an LED light and it's not the brightest either, so that may have something to do with it. I may have to start carrying my Surefire with me. That fugger is so bright the deer won't be able to see anything for at least a half hour! lmao

Huckleberry Finn

So Brock, are you saying that it's better to use a white light and blind 'em that to not use a light at all?

Also, if I'm walking out at bump deer...makes me wonder if deer scare each other in the dark...

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That's what I'm saying, Huck. I'd much rather have deer stare at me curiously than to run like heck. To each their own...

Interesting discussions fella's! I used a white light in the past and had deer blow at me as I was working my way to stands before. Always thought it was the white light shining up and reflecting up onto the trees that did most of the spooking. Tried a red light for a while and when I lost that I went to a green one. I have a couple of green LED one's that I use now and if I have it on I usually cup my hand over it enough to only give me light where I am walking to avoid sticks and all. Most of the time if I know the route well I try to leave the light off and let my eyes adjust. As I walk I stop/pause often and occasionally carry a stick to help add additional footsteps along the way, esp. if the leaf litter is real crunchy. I prefer this way as I have often had deer come through right after getting in the stand and knowing they had to have heard me coming in. If they can't smell you then I believe they think you must be/might be another deer.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
You bring up a good point, Chuck. Don't go through the woods shining your light all over the place!

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Well, once again I have an opinion I don't expect to be shared by many. :) I use nothing but the standard old white light-flashlight. Here's why; I used to try sneaking into and out of stands with no light. I mistakenly thought it would be more stealthy. For the last 15+ years I have hunted almost exclusively in agricultural areas. No matter what direction I take I am going to cross a field that is likely to have deer in it. After bumping deer without being able to see the dang things, I decided I may as well see where I am going. I swear, with a light I can walk into, through, and beyond a herd of deer without spooking them. I walk straight at 'em, they can't see what's behind the light and will stand in wonder as I go by. I keep the light on them even after I'm past for some distance, or they will spook. I don't use an LED as the beam seems to "white out" in a really short distance. I prefer the mini-mag lights. Try it, you'll see.

.... and the boogie man will never follow you through the woods if you have a light! :)

you sold me at boogie man!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
You bring up a good point, Chuck. Don't go through the woods shining your light all over the place!

Exactly! My head lamp tilts and I wear it so that it points directly down at my feet about 3-4' feet in front of me as I walk in. I don't look left and right shining my light all over the place. I also don't wear it climbing in or out of my stand. Once I am in the stand, I will hang it from a hook where it shines down the side of the tree, giving me just enough light to do what I need...