Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer Harvest Comparison

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
I hope this is in the right forum but if it needs moved to a different one, no big deal to me...

I just got back to my desk and saw my WildOhio e-newsletter in my inbox...the link I pasted below was something I found interesting, don't really know why yet, but thought it would be worthy for discussion purposes here at TOO...If someone has already posted something on this then I apologize for duplicating topics....

Just curious about what everyone thinks about the DNR collecting this kind of information in this way.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/Hun...eerharvestcomparison/tabid/24154/Default.aspx

What say you TOOzers?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I like it. I was really hoping they'd publish some "real-time" data like this. I had a feeling the opening weekend this year would be much better than last years... Most likely due to the perfect weather conditions, early crop harvests, moon, etc. A statewide 41% increase from last year's first 4 years is pretty significant, IMO.

I like how the ODNR made sure to throw a bunch of disclaimers in there, though... about how the data won't mean shit at certain times of year and what-not. I know their reasonings are probably valid, but I think it's just funny.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Glad to see the doe slaughter is still going strong.

Should make for some fun hunting in a few more years.

I know I only took a brief look at the data, but it looks like the buck and doe harvests are pretty proportional to last season... So it's not just the does that are getting slaughtered.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Why not compare it to older numbers?

My guess would be because they haven't had somebody sit down and separate prior statistics into 7-day periods yet. It would be nice to see the comparison, but I'll bet preparing that data isn't a high priority for the DOW right now. The current data requires very little time to prepare, thanks to telecheck.

Huckleberry Finn

My guess would be because they haven't had somebody sit down and separate prior statistics into 7-day periods yet. It would be nice to see the comparison, but I'll bet preparing that data isn't a high priority for the DOW right now. The current data requires very little time to prepare, thanks to telecheck.

Sounds like intern work!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
If I had the daily harvest numbers like they do I could compile the weekly harvests for the past decade in less than a day.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
If I had the daily harvest numbers like they do I could compile the weekly harvests for the past decade in less than a day.

Less than 15 minutes.....

=weeknum(harvest date)&"-"&(right(harvest date,4))

Roll everything up by that value and you have weekly summary for as long as you have detail.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Looks like only 4 counties are down. Two of the four are Highland and Fayette. This is very little data to go by and by no means enough to form a conclusion, but it will be interesting to see how it plays out. There are more hunters than ever in Highland county, and less deer than I can remember in the past 10 years.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Makes ya wonder how many were killed prior to season starting, when they were still on patterns, and not checked until after season started. I believe thats what happened during spring turkey season.