Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Moon - What do we know?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Deer get on their feet anytime the moon is about to set or rise. An hour or so either side of the set/rise. Also in between the rise and set time, or when the moon is overhead, and to some degree under foot. Getting a rising or setting moon close to the rising and setting sun often makes for an exceptional day of activity. If on the 14th, it is 80 degrees, I don't think there will be much to see. If it is cool, I think there will be a lot of activity. The October Lull will rear it's ugly head if its warm.

Deer get on their feet anytime the moon is about to set or rise. An hour or so either side of the set/rise. Also in between the rise and set time, or when the moon is overhead, and to some degree under foot. Getting a rising or setting moon close to the rising and setting sun often makes for an exceptional day of activity. If on the 14th, it is 80 degrees, I don't think there will be much to see. If it is cool, I think there will be a lot of activity. The October Lull will rear it's ugly head if its warm.

So let me get this straight.If all the above falls on a new or full moon(with good temps) then we better have our fuggin ass in the woods?.....

The 14th is the day before a new moon??Thats another plus if the temps cooperate right?

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
For you iPhone users. AppStore free app called moon

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349473896.955083.jpg

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I've got an app called "time to fish". It has all the moonrise and moonset times, it rates each day and shows the am and pm majors and minors.....exactly what you guys are talking about here. I'm going to be paying close attention to it. Its a free app for anybody that can get it.

I've got an app called "time to fish". It has all the moonrise and moonset times, it rates each day and shows the am and pm majors and minors.....exactly what you guys are talking about here. I'm going to be paying close attention to it. Its a free app for anybody that can get it.

Thanks for the info...I will be looking for it on my Android based phone...Not to thread jack,but I really like scoutlook weather online..It seems they want a few $$$ for the app,but if you look you cant get a sponsored by mossy oak version for free..Just throwing that out there...

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Nope, I came up with the 13th because the moon is rising about the same time as the sun, and setting about the same time. It's going to be up all day long...

I understand what you are going off of now. Sounds interesting, but it is almost polar opposite of what I was talking about. For you, prime time is when the moon is on the horizon at sunrise and sunset. For me, its when the moon is in the center of the sky (overhead/underfoot) at sunrise and again at sunset. Your theory occurs during new and full moon, mine occurs during quarter moons. Since I now have access to my Moon guide, I can tell you that tomorrow is going to be an awesome day to hunt. The moon is overhead at 6:25am and underfoot at 6:50pm. These times are accurate for a couple hours before and couple hours after. For those of you who are blessed to have a lot of deer in your area, expect to see many deer out in fields tomorrow evenings. Hunting the edge of a field in the evening should be very productive. Tomorrow is one of those few "magical" days that I was talking about in an earlier post where we have both a directly overhead and underfoot moon during daylight hours in the same day. Combine that with the cooler temperatures this weekend, and you have a deadly combination. This evening, the moon is directly underfoot at 5:59pm, so this evening should be good for a field hunt as well.

It's interesting to hear your method Brock. I will keep note of it in the future.

Last edited:

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
When I went on this morning I had the moon pretty much directly over head. I didn't see squat. Not saying you are wrong by any stretch of the means, just telling you what I saw. I will try and be out in the morning again tomorrow and see what I can see.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Obviously, deer aren't active just a few days a month, so no I don't think it is only when the moon is on either horizon. I do think the moon being directly overhead causes activity, and to a lesser degree when it is underfoot. I don't have it narrowed down to the point of saying anything definate, just that I know if the moon is on the rise or fall close to sunset or sunrise, I want to spend some time in the stand both morning and evening. If it rises or falls in the afternoon, I'm hunting in the afternoon vs. the morning and so forth.

Given all factors, I'm still going to hunt every chance I get, but I do believe the times of BEST activity can be directly linked to the moon times.

Diablo54

Outside
I feel that the October lull has a lot to do with the deer starting to eat the leaves before they get acidic again and not having to move

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
I hate hunting full moons, never have any luck, but according to the rise and fall times, Brock is spot on with the 13th. I'm still hunting the first week of November though....

LonewolfNopack

The woods
I hate hunting full moons, never have any luck, but according to the rise and fall times, Brock is spot on with the 13th. I'm still hunting the first week of November though....

According to what I go by which is Jeff Murrays theory, during the full moon the moon is directly overhead or underfoot during midday. That could lead to less morning and evening movement, and more mid-day movement. Anyone ever experience a lot of midday movement during the full moon? Good chance that the moon being center of the earth at mid day had something to do with it.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I feel that the October lull has a lot to do with the deer starting to eat the leaves before they get acidic again and not having to move

I think you might be on to something, brother. On opening day, several of the deer that I watched were browsing heavily on the leaves of young maples.

According to what I go by which is Jeff Murrays theory, during the full moon the moon is directly overhead or underfoot during midday. That could lead to less morning and evening movement, and more mid-day movement. Anyone ever experience a lot of midday movement during the full moon? Good chance that the moon being center of the earth at mid day had something to do with it.

I have noticed this. I have always just thought it was because the deer ran all night and bedded down earlier in the morning. But perhaps the moon moving to overhead has something to do with it too.