Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Moon - What do we know?

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
Last night I saw 510 inches of horn on three bucks and not a single doe. Biggest one at 6:45 and the next two at 7:20... Tonight I saw around 40 doe and zero bucks.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Last night I saw 510 inches of horn on three bucks and not a single doe. Biggest one at 6:45 and the next two at 7:20... Tonight I saw around 40 doe and zero bucks.

What were the bucks doing JD? Feeding?

A buddy at work told me yesterday just 5 hours ago he saw 3 really big racked bucks walking behind some does around 6:30pm. It was in an area that gets little to no hunting access though. I thought it was odd that 3 big bucks would be together now.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
What were the bucks doing JD? Feeding?

A buddy at work told me yesterday just 5 hours ago he saw 3 really big racked bucks walking behind some does around 6:30pm. It was in an area that gets little to no hunting access though. I thought it was odd that 3 big bucks would be together now.

Going to the standing corn. Where I'm hunting the corn is just starting to turn. Good chance it will still be standing during the rut. That's what I'm hoping for...

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Going to the standing corn. Where I'm hunting the corn is just starting to turn. Good chance it will still be standing during the rut. That's what I'm hoping for...

Same here! The standing corn where I'm hunting still has a lot of green on it but the tops and edges are starting to turn. Standing corn makes hunting more challenging but also helps bucks get some more age TOO. That's fine with me.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Not exactly what I've observed...
I firmly believe it is the rise and fall - when the moon is on the horizon, that it is most beneficial. For example, on the 29th of September we had a FULL moon. It's rising time corresponded to traditional evening hunting, and movement was well before sundown. The setting moon was AFTER sunup, and therefore beneficial to those of us hoping to see morning movement. On days like the 30th, the moon would be overhead at mid-day. That would have been somewhat beneficial if it weren't really warm, and anyone had sat waiting in a bedding area all day. That is why the 13th of November is going to be awesome, if we get cool temps. The moon will tell them to wiggle around, if the weather allows them to be comfortable, they will -all day.

If you have a rising moon in the early afternoon (2:00 we'll say) and you can only hunt morning or afternoon, chose the afternoon! That early rising moon will get them on their feet early, but it will set at 2am-ish. After getting active around 2 pm, they are gonna move well for two or three hours and then shut down again, which is OK because we are out of shooting light anyway. They will be active again at 2 am... and that isn't going to do anyone any good, so sleep in if you can only hunt once a day.

Still, fronts trump all imo., and you can see deer on ANY day. It might take a wood cutting neighbor, or a loose dog, but something could move a deer past at any time.

Sounds pretty similar to what I was saying. I do not have the moon guide on me but when I get home this evening I will check it out.It gives me all of the full, quarter and new moon dates, but most importantly it gives me the times when it is directly overhead and underfoot. I'm not saying all of the good moon times fall under a quarter moon, just a lot of them. I guess I just assumed that when you are saying moon rise and moon fall that you are talking about the moon being overhead and underfoot, and that is where the Nov 13th date came from. I honestly have not looked that far onto the moon guide yet, but I will when I get back. If not then we could be talking about two different "moon triggers". This could be interesting.

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Nope, I came up with the 13th because the moon is rising about the same time as the sun, and setting about the same time. It's going to be up all day long...

TurkeyFizz

BR I also fing it ineresting that when the moon is up all day that it is also closest to the earth. It will be closer on the 14 than the 13. I have followed this stuff for years and believe Brock is spot on.
Alshiemer talks alot about photo period and the amount of light stimulating the does into estrous. I do think he has merit. But what i have seen over the years is if the moon is rising and in the sky during daylight hrs deer movement will be increased. When this occurs during Nov. and the temps are cool.Better be in your stand. Looks like some good evenings are coming here soon.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hey guys, that Navy moon table is nice but I just noticed the weather website that I use lists the moonrise and moonset times, too. www.intellicast.com
If you click on the 'Extended Forecast' it lists sunrise/sunset and moonrise/moonset for each day of the forecast. It's pretty handy to have all the weather info AND the moon info on the same page.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Hey guys, that Navy moon table is nice but I just noticed the weather website that I use lists the moonrise and moonset times, too. www.intellicast.com
If you click on the 'Extended Forecast' it lists sunrise/sunset and moonrise/moonset for each day of the forecast. It's pretty handy to have all the weather info AND the moon info on the same page.

Thanks, Jim. I bookmarked it!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Great stuff fellas. It certainly has me reconsidering not taking better notes than I do in order to review them and learn from them in subsequent seasons. And I may just be saving a day of vacation to use on the 13th now!!!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Yesterday morning around 6:40 I was making my toward my stand along the creek in the moonlight. I realized just how bright it appeared when dodging the shadows. I looked up and thought about taking a pic of the moon, it wasn't very big but sure was bright. It was almost overhead but slightly behind me as I walked eastward. I was trying to check later if it was rising or falling but as it got lighter the cloud cover came in and covered it up. It had been gloomy since 8 am and those does came by at 8:17-8:20.

So going off the rise and set times,when do you know it should be prime time(deer in general) for that day,according to the moon?I found a interesting calculator(based on my previous post) for moon phase..But I want to see how the info relates between it and the rise/set times....

Take Sunday the 14th(just prior to new moon)..Sunrise 7:39AM/Set 6:50 PM...Moonrise 6:37AM/Set 6:09PM...This calculator AM/PM an midday may be good hunting...Does all of that jive together?If so,how and why?

Last edited:

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Sunday Oct. 14 the moon rises at 6:14 am, the sun rise is at 7:36..Is this what your talking about as far as the moon and sun being together to get the deer on their feet?

thanks for the link jimbo

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sunday Oct. 14 the moon rises at 6:14 am, the sun rise is at 7:36..Is this what your talking about as far as the moon and sun being together to get the deer on their feet?

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what Brock's saying.

Damn it! Why's that have to happen on opening weekend of duck season?!?!?

Im guessing the time diff is due to location?..So is this to say that a AM hunt might be better then a PM hunt? Or is it saying the time from Moonrise to moonset could be good?