Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Moon - What do we know?

Pabowbender

It looks like a good, lengthy cold front is due starting on Saturday. That, and the approach of a New Moon next week might get things started. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. That's because to do a week of all days sits, I have to make it next week. Family commitments aren't always fun.

Reactions: Left field

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I don't think there is any denying the moon can impact the rut after this past week of activity. The day after the Super Moon, I think most of us felt it was time to start hunting that midday time frame with the late setting moon. We're told the best times to hunt are when the moon is directly overhead and underfoot. The moon was underfoot at 1:26PM on Tuesday after one of the brightest moons we will see in our life time, which only encouraged late night rutting and a slow morning. This is the Broke Brow 10. A 5.5 year old buck who despite some daylight activity this year, has been the most elusive buck around. This picture may have sold me an Adam Hayes Moon Guide...

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryan Shultz

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio
Moon overhead or underfoot, I never noticed a difference. Moon rise and moon set, I see some correlation, but it seems the experts swear by that overhead/underfoot thing. I don't get it.

Also, I don't understand people who charge money for moon info. I can find it online for free. Sometimes I gotta dig a little, but I can always find moon rise, moon overhead, moon set and moon underfoot information somewhere. So, some guy charging money for it is lame. It's like charging money for last week's lottery numbers! Hey, hey! Maybe they'll hit again! Get yer credit card out pal!! SMH.

Reactions: giles

Reactions: Left field

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
Look up Moonrise/set tables. I've watched the moon times for years too. There is definately something to it, but I hunt every chance I get regardless of the moon. When there is a full moon over the horizon during daylight hours, it can be awesome. I've never understood why people worry about the phase of the moon so much, what seems to really make the difference is when it rises and sets!
When the moon hit your eye like a big pizza pie its time ta hunt

Stressless

Keene, OH
Here's your Moon....

Jeff stomps this fade into the dirt with facts and pats it down with experience. He does however give good advice on how it effects the feeding behavior.

Full moon WITHOUT cloud cover changes things.

overhead or underfoot within an hour of sunrise/sunset or a weather event enhances things for sure.

full or dark 100% stink that day, the one before and after but is best 2-3 prior and 2-3 days after.

Based off my notes.

Reactions: Mike

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Full moon WITHOUT cloud cover changes things.

overhead or underfoot within an hour of sunrise/sunset or a weather event enhances things for sure.

full or dark 100% stink that day, the one before and after but is best 2-3 prior and 2-3 days after.

Based off my notes.
Bingo. Ive commented on this before but if you really want to understand the true impact of the moon on Whitetails without all the field and stream lingo read the late Jeff Murray's book "Moon Struck".

Reactions: gjs4 and Mike