Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

DIY Head-Bobber Duck Decoy

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yesterday I stumbled on this video at youtube, showing a guy's homemade head-bobbing duck decoy... Of course it looked like it would be incredibly effective, and of course :) I figured I should make my own.

[video=youtube;w2mXNqZqew8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2mXNqZqew8[/video]

After watching the video I immediately browsed ebay and purchased two Tamiya 72004 Worm Gear motor sets. For both motors, shipped, it was about 28 bucks.

Obviously the motors aren't going to show up on my doorstep over night, so in the meantime I decided to get to work on the "planning stages." Instead of crafting an entire decoy out of foam like the guy did in the video, I'm going to try a plastic decoy... more specifically, a Flambeau Master Series hen... with a 1" sheet of foam board inside as my base.

Here she is after surgery...

Next I started playing around with my CAD software to get an idea of how to make this thing work. I started by taking side-profile pictures of my decoy body and head, imported the images into CAD, traced the outlines, and then resized them to scale. I was lucky enough to find the CAD drawings with dimensions of the motor kit online as well, so I brought that in to scale also. After a few hours of work, here's what I came up with...

I really can't do anything else until my motors show up. I just wanted to get this thread started so that I can hopefully track and document the progress of this DIY project. If all goes well, I'll build a second one with the extra motor kit... Or at least I'll figure out what NOT to do with the second motor kit. :)

Stay tuned...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'll check this out more tomorrow, but allow me to derail this now. lmao

What I need to know here is why you were searching "head bobbing" online and where are the good pics?!? HAHA.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'll check this out more tomorrow, but allow me to derail this now. lmao

What I need to know here is why you were searching "head bobbing" online and where are the good pics?!? HAHA.

lmao

Well played, sir...