Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Another Property Lost To A Lease

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
We just lost a place to them guys to new owner leased it I called them they said a couple guys from pa leased it. I've recently talked to the new owner and he said next year it'd be ours again so hope he keeps his word it really blows

Lundy

Right wrong or whatever there is one common message here and on all of the other threads that discuss losing land to someone leasing.

You as a hunter or hunting group have not done enough with the landowner for them to leave the hunting rights with you rather than lease them to someone else that they don't even know.

If you have been hunting these properties for years and the landowner leases them out from under you without notice or consideration then you need only to look in the mirror to see the problem. You had no perceived value to the landowner and they displaced you. Apparently hunters had a higher regard for the relationship than the landowner did.

Not to be critical but times change and you need to change with them. If you are not bringing value to the landowner in some form you risk being displaced. Hunters need to be proactive in preserving these relationships and access.

Just for the record I do not like leasing companies and believe there should be very stringent regulations, licensing, income reporting and taxation, and over sight of that growing industry. Way too many abuses in my mind.

Just reality guys

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Right wrong or whatever there is one common message here and on all of the other threads that discuss losing land to someone leasing.

You as a hunter or hunting group have not done enough with the landowner for them to leave the hunting rights with you rather than lease them to someone else that they don't even know.

If you have been hunting these properties for years and the landowner leases them out from under you without notice or consideration then you need only to look in the mirror to see the problem. You had no perceived value to the landowner and they displaced you. Apparently hunters had a higher regard for the relationship than the landowner did.

Not to be critical but times change and you need to change with them. If you are not bringing value to the landowner in some form you risk being displaced. Hunters need to be proactive in preserving these relationships and access.

Just for the record I do not like leasing companies and believe there should be very stringent regulations, licensing, income reporting and taxation, and over sight of that growing industry. Way too many abuses in my mind.

Just reality guys

I don't necessarily agree wit this. Money talks more often than not. Especially in this economy.. Large landowners are aging and on fixed incomes. Couple that with the loss of a spouse and widowers tend to do their own thing. As older landowners pass away the younger generations who inherit it largely have no respect for the ownership of land. Land is just something they have to pay taxes on, not something of personal value like generations before them saw it to be. Land for many old timers was their livelihood, their means of taking care of their family, and something to be proud of. Now it's given to children who have never had to struggle or fall back on the land.. They work their busy 9-5, buy meat from Kroger, and rush home to watch Jersey shore. So they either sell it, bust it up and sell it, lease it Corporate Ag, lease the hunting rights, rape the timber, and split the mineral rights. We as hunters have no value to these airs to the land. To them daddy's land is a financial burden if they keep it, or a cash cow to exploit. What do they care. they live in Columbus now, not Hickory Creek.

Lundy

Jackalope,

All good points, and I'm sure it varies for property to property and hunter to hunter, owner to owner.

The reality probably falls somewhere between our views

steveOh

Dayton Area
I don't necessarily agree wit this. Money talks more often than not. Especially in this economy.. Large landowners are aging and on fixed incomes. Couple that with the loss of a spouse and widowers tend to do their own thing. As older landowners pass away the younger generations who inherit it largely have no respect for the ownership of land. Land is just something they have to pay taxes on, not something of personal value like generations before them saw it to be. Land for many old timers was their livelihood, their means of taking care of their family, and something to be proud of. Now it's given to children who have never had to struggle or fall back on the land.. They work their busy 9-5, buy meat from Kroger, and rush home to watch Jersey shore. So they either sell it, bust it up and sell it, lease it Corporate Ag, lease the hunting rights, rape the timber, and split the mineral rights. We as hunters have no value to these airs to the land. To them daddy's land is a financial burden if they keep it, or a cash cow to exploit. What do they care. they live in Columbus now, not Hickory Creek.

Dang Joe, sounds like you know our former hunting property's landowner and her family.....$$$$$, hell her son didn't even know she leased until after the fact, she never discussed it with him!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Jackalope,

All good points, and I'm sure it varies for property to property and hunter to hunter, owner to owner.

The reality probably falls somewhere between our views

Another . I lost access to a piece of land 2 years ago.. The old lady that owned it was a widow. Se leased the farming rights to a local farmer, she leased the use of her barns and pasture to his son for his cattle and had for years. His family owned the land next door to the south. That January about a 180 inch buck was killed on the other neighboring property to the north not 300 yards from my stand. Word got around through the grapevine. That next fall I lost access to the land. A hunter himself he went over to the old lady's house and told her something like the following"" You know, I want to put more of my cattle in your pasture. But I'm worried about the hunter you have back there. I'm thinking about pulling my cattle" This is a woman I have done a lot for. Cut up and hauled off storm damaged trees, trapped groundhogs and coons from her detached garage, trapped 16 coons from her hay barn, killed 9 groundhogs out of the beans.. I found this old sycamore in her woods with a carving that had her and her husbands initials in a heart from 1952.. I took a picture of it, printed it at wal-mart and put it in a frame for her. He husband died 25 years ago.. When i gave it to her she sat down and cried. That fall she kicked me out.. What was she to do? that guy leasing the pasture threatened part of her income. he basically leased the hunting rights out from under me without paying a dime.

The problem goes back to this. Land is getting busted up and sold.. The days of the large landowner are quickly becoming a thing of the past. This lady pays over 6,500 a year in property taxes on 250 acres.. The land valuation is over 500,000. People today by in large can not afford to dump 500,000 to buy a property like this. Companies want between 30-50% of that down just to do a loan on the rest.. Farmers are no longer self made, they are born into it. And many of them just lease it to big ag. the property problem for hunting is only going to get worse. And in reality, there isn;t much we the hunter can do about it. we're like a life raft in the sea during a hurricane. Paddle your heart out. In the end we're 100% at the mercy of the sea.

mrex

*Supporting member*

Just reality guys

I would agree with this especially in cases where the land hasn't changed hands and the land owner didn't at least give the legacy hunters an opportunity to pony up.

Like all aspects of life, the only constant is change. I lost 2 of my best properties this year to the property being sold. In both instances, the family needed money. One due to a job loss and the other because the land owner is over 90 years old and needed to be moved into a assisted living facility. In both cases, I had the opportunity to buy the land. Better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all...no complaints here.