Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jesse's 2012-2013 Hunting Log

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
My season is off and running to a rough start. If you care to read more about my mishap on opening day, you can share in my pain here: Tough one to swallow...

It will be a while before I am back in the woods, so things won't be real exciting in this thread for a while...

Does Sightings: 6
Bucks Sightings: 0
Different Bucks: 0
Shooters Seen: 0
Total Sightings: 6

Deer Killed: 0
Arrow'd Squirrels: 0

Morning Hunts: 1
Evening Hunts: 1
All Day Sits: 0
Total Hunts: 2

Hours on Stand: 3.5

Average Time Per Hunt: 1 hour 45 minutes.
Deer Seen Per Hour on Stand: 1.7

Stands/Blinds Hunted: 2
Properties Hunted: 1

Buckmaster

Portage
Keep your chin up, your chest pumped out, remain confident in yourself and your abilities. Maybe by the end of the season you TOO could be a 1%er. :pickle:

Attachments

• 1%er.jpg
    1%er.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 242

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'll be checking in with your thread when you post something. I find that my excitement to hit the tree again is renewed everytime I come to a 3 day stretch where I can't hunt due to other obligations. Goodluck on your next sit.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Enjoyed a short hunt last night overlooking my radish plot last night. I watched two does work along the ridge above me browsing acorns and spotted another doing the same on the way out. Also saw 3 big does on a part of our farm where I rarely see deer on the way down the road last night. One was a monster!!!

Does Sightings: 9
Bucks Sightings: 0
Different Bucks: 0
Total Sightings: 9

Evening Hunts: 2
Total Hunts: 3

Hours on Stand: 5.5

Average Time Per Hunt: 1 hour 50 minutes.
Deer Seen Per Hour on Stand: 1.64

Stands/Blinds Hunted: 3
Properties Hunted: 2

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Went out to check cams at lunch today and overall, it was pretty crappy. The new farm I picked up is dead right no and even though I expected that to happen, it is still a bit of a let down. The cams at the farm do show a better deer population that I expected this early in the season and I had one set of pics from Captain Jack. I made a few cam moves today and picked out 2-3 more stand sites for when I got in mobile. The acorns are also better than expected, which brings a couple of new stands in to play. I plan to leave the farm alone by and large until Halloween, hopefully it pays off!

I'm out tonight at my parents. Hopefully I can finish what I started last weekend!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Had a decent hunt Saturday evening seeing a young doe and 100" 8 point. Still haven't found that internal "push" to be out there. Hope it shows up soon...

Does Sightings: 10
Bucks Sightings: 1
Different Bucks: 1
Total Sightings: 11

Evening Hunts: 3
Skunked Hunts: 0
Total Hunts: 4

Hours on Stand: 8

Average Time Per Hunt: 2 hours.
Deer Seen Per Hour on Stand: 1.375

Stands/Blinds Hunted: 3
Properties Hunted: 2

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Went on a "hunt" last that I am not even calling a hunt. I figured with the cool weather the deer would be on the move and headed to my new farm for the first time this year. When I arrived at my stand, I found the farmer had mowed off several acres of waist high weeds that surrounded this stand. I hung this set because it was on a point between three pockets of woods, all an acre is size and loaded with producing oaks. The stand was on the edge of a power line right of way and the weeds made for great security cover and bedding. With everything mowed off, the stand went from killer to dub over night. It would make a decent decoy spot, but I don't see me doing that much on this farm. I went ahead and climbed in the stand since I was there, but it wasn't long before I was ready to climb down. Around 6, something set the squirrels on edge and I literally could not hear myself think for 25 minutes. Best I could figure, there was a coyote in the thicket to the east of me where I expected the deer to come from and it had the squirrels all fired up. I had been looking at Google Earth trying to find a new place for this set since I was now not the least bit impressed with it, so I decided to climb down and go for a quick scouting trip. It turned out to be a great choice!!!

What I found was a nice flat just off an oak shelf that is situated between two thickets. Below each thicket is a high wall and the shelf runs along the high walls and dumps in to this area where an old road connects the hay field with the shelf. There were acorns ALL over the place and some decent rubs from this season, and several old rubs that indicated a big buck had been in there in seasons past. During the next rain, I will be moving the set I was in last night to this area. It appears to be a great place to catch cruising bucks and it could very well be the missing link to the puzzle on this new farm...

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Sound like it would be a great move Jesse! Slip in and move it slowly and quietly during mid day and hunt it till dark. Ron and I both have had great success doing that. If you need to use extention pruners take it with you and lay it in the weeds near your exit trail and take them with you when you leave.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
It looks like we will be getting some wind and rain on Sunday, so I will move it then. I did some more scouting last night via Google Earth and my topo software. It really appears I may have found a much better spot than I originally thought. Not to mention I found another spot I plan to hang and hunt later in the season when things start to pick up. Depending on how windy and rainy it is on Sunday, I may go in there and hang a cam and have a look around...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Not trying to hijack, but what topo software are you using?

Terrain Navigator Pro. We have it for work and it is essentially the Google Earth of topo software. The Ohio maps will run you $300, so it is not something most folks buy just for hunting!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I was hoping to get out this past weekend and failed to do so thanks to getting sick Friday. It pained me to waste a good weekend just sitting on my ass, but it may have been the best thing to do as I feel close to 100% now. I originally planned on lending a hand more than hunting on the Strouds trip, but I may make a serious effort to kill something now. The worst part about being sick this weekend was not being able to make the adjustments I wanted to on the new farm. I need a good rain now and some free time to utilize it to my advantage. If nothing else, I'll just go in on the fly and make it work.

To this point, my season has been pretty lack luster...