Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Nasa Plumbrook

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
OK. Talked with several guards and Nasa Head-honcho's. Was in the mix of getting a tour, and my boss called for me to return to Columbus! What A Bitch That Was! So Damn Close..... 3 different people said they had the hunting maps in their office and would bring them out, but never did get to see one. But I did get to stay until just before dark....OMG there is some deer in there. Seen 67 deer, 9 Turkeys and 3 Coyotes on my way out (Which was about 1 1/4 miles).
Guards said the guys who seem to get the bigger ones, found a thick travel pattern, using the wind and letting the others run the deer around. Not letting your guard down during lunch has paid off as people move around more. They claim a lot of the Biggest Bucks just go lay down and stay put. Seen a couple real good bucks inside though. One of our Operators left right at dark and said the one he seen should have been on a Jagermeister Bottle. He knows a little about deer and said it was like 190+ and was running with an 8 that would do 140.
There is 6400 acres fenced in and another 1500 outside leased for farming.
There is still hope.....We have to go back up and tear those 2 cranes down in a week or so. Just maybe I'll get to go and find out more on this one.
Headded to Wyoming on Monday......Anyone need some scouting done between Newark Ohio and Casper Wyoming?...:smiley_coolpeace:

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Thanks Rick! I can tell you this. If I have the opportunity to kill a nice deer on my properties, I'm going to do it. It would mean a lot more to me anyway. Good luck on the trip!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Don't get me wrong. There are plenty of deer in there, but they are as skittish as the ones out here. Stop a vehicle and they're gone! Hope you get a big one somewhere. You are a lucky fella just to get to experience the hunt in there.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I won't. My buddy and I made a deal. If he or I drew any special hunts, we would partner up. I may get to meet 5Cent TOO.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I seen several Real Good Bucks in Solon. They were just standing in peoples yards eating flowers and shrubs. They showed the deer problem on the news that morning, we got rained out, and my boss called for us to go look at a job site on the NW side of Solon. The deer population was CRAZY! Then came the sharpshooters...........

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Gun hunt in sector 10. I submitted my prints and application to the FBI this morning. I hunted near the fence a few times too. I had permission through a buddy who was able to give out 6 slips from Wensink.

Ah gotcha. Your original post said November 8th, that's what threw me off. Looks like we'll be able to meet up that morning Mike, looking forward to it. PM me your email address if ya want and I'll forward you the sector map.

Sec. 10 is boarded on 3 sides by restricted zones which is awesome. The deer know these zones and flock there. Throughout the day you'll have a hunt truck push those zones and may even get a chance to help. Usually they'll have a few alternates with them, but this $18 FBI processing fee may shy away a few guys. Gonna be a good time!

ThunderEagle

Hello all. I just registered to reply to this thread. I too have pulled a permit for the 12/8 Archery hunt. Looks like sector A14. Not really sure what to expect.

I did see where Archery hunters were allowed to use tree stands. Me and my partner both have climbers, is this something we would want to use, or are we better off on the ground or in a blind?

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Anyone with any more information about this hunt? Especially to my question if I want to bring my climber tree stand?

Welcome Thunder Eagle! Yes, by all means bring your climbers. Each sector is different, some have tall timber, some are short scrub brush. You will want to be as versatile as possible due to the unknowns of your sector.

One thing to mention about the archery sections is they almost all border restricted zones, that's why they are archery only. Even if you can not get off the ground, the deer will be moving all day to and from those zones, just figure out where they're traveling.

ThunderEagle

Thanks 5Cent. I'm looking forward to it.

To be honest, I was kind of hoping you'd say "no, the climbers are of no use..." Heh, just extra to carry in. :) Of course I just ordered one of those blinds posted about in another thread here, so that could be an option as well.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Thanks 5Cent. I'm looking forward to it.

To be honest, I was kind of hoping you'd say "no, the climbers are of no use..." Heh, just extra to carry in. :) Of course I just ordered one of those blinds posted about in another thread here, so that could be an option as well.

TE, it is something extra to carry in! I am still debating if I want to bring one to be honest. We won't be able to hunt all day b/c that is also my son's 1st birthday and I'm hunting with his uncle (my brother), and you know we can't be late for the party lol. Something to think about is; b/c it's a controlled hunt, even if you bring it and decide you don't want to deal with using it at first, just drop it a few yards into your sector (or chain to a tree if you're really worried) and leave it until you decide that you want to use it. There will be noone else around and so few hunters that you do not have to worry about things coming up missing unlike public land.

ThunderEagle

I hear ya. It seems like the little I info I can find on this hunt it sounds like you need to be flexible to move around. Not like we get to scout it, find the trails and pick a tree and more importantly shooting lanes for our stands.

Depending on how much I like that Command Post blind, I may take that in with me. I need to discuss it with my partner as well.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The last time I hunted there I saw no use for a blind. With the other hunters moving around there was deer on the move non stop. The 1st hunt I did about 30 yrs ago I took a very nice buck. The last time I went I drew a doe tag only and only seen bucks everywhere and got scunked. But things may have changed since then.
Frank

ThunderEagle

Well, after waiting and waiting, I got something back from the FBI finally today. The finger prints the local Sheriff did for me were not good enough to ID. So, I'm less than 2 weeks from my hunt date, and no FBI background check done (but I'm out $18 for it anyhow) so I'm screwed for the hunt.

Gah, this sucks ass.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Oh that sucks, man. There's not much else to say. We got ours faxed in and confirmed with NASA last week so we are good to go.