Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Nasa Plumbrook

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
My buddy drew the November 8th hunt and I'm going with him. He just got an email stating that we need to go and get background checks from local law enforcement and then send them in with an $18 processing fee. Really? :smiley_confused_vra

Schu72

Streetsboro
Must have changed from last year. I did have to fill out a bunch of stuff and sign a waiver for a background check, but there was no fee.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My buddy drew the November 8th hunt and I'm going with him. He just got an email stating that we need to go and get background checks from local law enforcement and then send them in with an $18 processing fee. Really? :smiley_confused_vra

I would GLADLY send in $18 and get a background check to go hunt at NASA Plumbrook... especially on November 8th...

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Here is the complete email.

Dear Hunter,
You are receiving this e-mail because you have been selected for a
NASA Plum Brook Deer Hunt. There are some major changes to the
process you will need to follow to be permitted onto the facility.
In early August, NASA security informed the staff from the NASA
Plum Brook Facility; Wildlife Services and the Division of
Wildlife that changes in the background check process were needed.
These changes created many challenges that could have resulted in
the cancellation of the hunts for this year. The process that
NASA security staff has agreed upon is outlined in the attached
Special Instructions. Please note that you and your partner both
need to go through this process. It is a requirement to be able
to enter the facility. The process is outlined below:
· Get a background check form from the FBI website to complete
· Hunters will also be required to go to their local law enforcement
agency or commercial fingerprint service to be fingerprinted
· Submit the form and fingerprints along with an $18.00 processing fee to
the FBI. The FBI will run the check and submit the results back to the hunter.
This may take 4 -6 weeks.
· The hunter must submit the findings to NASA for a determination of
whether or not he/she is permitted on the Plum Brook facility to participate in
the hunt. This may take up to 2 weeks.

Please be sure to complete this process as soon as possible as it may take up to 8
weeks. You will need to submit information to two different agencies. As all
partner agencies involved worked towards a resolution to these challenges, it
became evident that individuals scheduled for the October 20 and November 3 hunts
would not be able to complete the background check process prior to the hunt date.
Therefore, the hunt for October 20, 2012 has been rescheduled for November 17,
2012 and the hunt scheduled for November 3, 2012 has been rescheduled for January
5, 2013. The December 8, 2012 hunt remains as scheduled. The attached special
instructions will be posted on the Division of Wildlife website along with the
Release and Indemnity Form (also attached). You will also be receiving in the
mail an assignment letter along with a copy of the Special Instructions and 2
Release and Indemnity forms. If you have transferred your permit to another
person, please pass along this information. The Division of Wildlife apologizes
for any inconvenience these changes may cause. Thank you for understanding.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
They keep Plumbrook locked down tighter than a Nun, so I understand why you have to get this stuff done prior to a hunt. IMO it's just a small price to pay to be priveledged enough to hunt there. I know guys that have been trying to get drawn for Plumbrook for 10-15 years... unsuccessfully.

Ohiobowhunter1

Columbus
The bigger concern is time, It says 4-6 weeks for the FBI background check. Then once you submit it will take them 2 weeks to review. Hopefully it all gets done in time...

Schu72

Streetsboro
If nothing else its a good chance to fill some antlerless tags and let the slick heads on your hunting properties live another year.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That's what I'm thinking, but we will probably go through with it anyway...

You don't sound very enthusiastic. Let me help you a little bit...

You've got a chance to hunt an area that is roughly 8.5 square miles, inside a fence, DURING PEAK RUT. The deer density at Plumbrook, at least a few years ago, was somewhere between 50 and 100 deer per square mile. There are absolute slungers roaming inside that fence... and going on November 8th, there's a damn good chance you'll see them up on their feet. If you don't go, I'm going to tell Milo to whack you in the nuts with a hammer...

Stonegod

When I was in college years ago we spent a semester going on digs at plum brook station. I saw tons of monster bucks and the place was loaded with Indian artifacts.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Hmmm. I hope I can keep eyes up instead of down. I love looking for artifacts. BTW, we're in zone 10 if that means anything to anyone.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Alright guys, heres the deal. NASA actually wanted to cancel all the hunts. The ODNR and NASA security just reached this agreement. Schu is correct, this is all new. There was some give and take on both sides, but thankfully for the hunters they reached an agreement.

That being said, Mike, I would reread the email. I believe your hunt has been moved due to the leadtime needed to get all of the paperwork completed. Did you get drawn for the gun or archery hunt? My brother and I are heading in on Dec. 8th for an archery hunt.

I've been able to volunteer to help run this hunt in past years, but have never hunted the grounds, be PUMPED!!! I grew up on Ransom Rd. which runs through Plumbrook, and have hunted the perimeter fences most of my high school years with my uncle. They say the deer herd is down this year, but I can tell you i is not....be PUMPED!!

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
The December 8, 2012 hunt remains as scheduled.
Gun hunt in sector 10. I submitted my prints and application to the FBI this morning. I hunted near the fence a few times too. I had permission through a buddy who was able to give out 6 slips from Wensink.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Gun hunt in sector 10. I submitted my prints and application to the FBI this morning. I hunted near the fence a few times too. I had permission through a buddy who was able to give out 6 slips from Wensink.

LOL, small world. Their land was around the corner by Hermes's, just a few miles from my stomping grounds.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Sounds like a bunch of anti's involved in the negotiations there.... Ravenna isn't that bad and they are a military installation.... sounds lime somebody was being bent over in those discussions..... really having too go through the FBI??? Wtf!!

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Sounds like a bunch of anti's involved in the negotiations there.... Ravenna isn't that bad and they are a military installation.... sounds lime somebody was being bent over in those discussions..... really having too go through the FBI??? Wtf!!

I was reluctant to hand over my prints, but I'm clean.:smiley_arrogant:

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I happen to be working in NASA Plumbrook right now. This place is a DEER PARADISE!. I entered in the east gate. Turned right and had to travel about 1 mile to get my pass. We seen 50-some deer in that mile. The travel patterns continued throughout the day~~everywhere you looked was 1-5 deer. Oak trees are everywhere in this place. I seen several big deer, but most were far enough I couldn't spot score them without my bino's. I am also in here on a pass, so must follow certain routes they designate. Wish they'd turn me loose at dusk and let me cruise around and spot deer with my telescope! The guys who were traveling around while I was getting my pass seen several HUGE BUCKS. I talked with the guards, and they said they have seen more Monster Bucks in here this year than they have seen in years~~By the way they were holding their hands, I would not settle for ANYTHING BUT A GOOD BUCK OR BETTER! Pack your backpack and stay as long as they will let you Mike. I have been deer hunting for 36 years now, and have only seen one place that even came close to this. That happened to be Solon Ohio just before they brought in the sharp-shooters and wiped a lot of them out. I will find out all I can about sector 10 for you today. I will also ask if they'd take me around sector 10 to let you know what to expect~~In fact, I will do all I "legally" can to get you any info available.