Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Seeing alotta scrapes ..

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Man, sure seems like a lot more early scrapes this yr. Walked into one spot last Friday that had 30 good sized scrapes in a 150x150 yr area...didn't even look in the remainder of that woods, just got out of there...Seeing multiple good sized scrapes on other property

ohio
Not to sound odd but it does seem weird, today we were driving to a site and had a buck run in front of us drooling and tongue hanging out like it was rut, Wtf??

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
My bride nearly hit a doe last week that had a buck hot on her tail. Happens every year, a bit of action early as well as way late. I'm still betting on the first couple weeks of November though.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I am not crying wolf saying early rut or nothing ..Gonna happen the same as always IMO ...If it wasn't for that one woods being blowed up I wouldn't of found a random scrape here and there odd....Although I did find 4 or 5 scrape in another woods yesterday...

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I found half a dozen scrapes when I went out to hang my last set of sticks. Found half a dozen on a field edge, and another along a logging trail running the edge of a hillside. Also found a rub line that ran the edge of the ridge, consisting of over two dozen trees.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
It is pretty interesting how they sometimes flip the switch when it just doesn't seem like they should be. I found freshly opened scrapes last year in February while snaring yotes. Some years, I've seen the best rutting activity in January. All part of what keeps the thing interesting I guess.

Umpire Jim

If you guys follow DDH rut calendar, Charlie Alschiemer calls for first week in October this year when the first older doe comes in heat. I can tell you that calendar is pretty accurate.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If you guys follow DDH rut calendar, Charlie Alschiemer calls for first week in October this year when the first older doe comes in heat. I can tell you that calendar is pretty accurate.

If this is accurate, it would explain the seemingly early scrapes. My buddy claims he saw one the size of the hood of his truck last weekend. He also saw a bunch of saplings tore up last weekend on another property. I have done my best to stay out of the woods.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Iam finding rubs and scrapes TOO! But nothing to get excited about, although I am getting some good morning pics on my TC. No shooters yet. Hell, I am not JD! Lol...

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I TOO am finding the start of scrapes. And I did get a pic (I'll post soon) of 2 bucks pushing/shoving already. Never seen it this early.

Gordo

Athens County
Ive had a good amount of pics of bucks starting to spar a little. Seems pretty common this time of year in my area.

I'll never forget opening week two years ago hearing sparring going on from my stand about an hour before dawn. Great stuff.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I dunno? Pulling cameras out of there tomorrow. There are several fresh forearm and calf sized rubs in that blowed up woodlot, as well as old rubs on trees basketball sized...hoping for the best.

Last edited: