Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

First Annual TOO Group Deer hunt.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
So between the fish fry, the horseshoes and the cornhole, and of course, the "larping" , are we gonna hunt too?
I hope so, i like to hunt almost as much as I like to larp

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mason and I went to the Mrex ranch yesterday. Mike had a location in mind for Mason to hunt, so we moved an old buddy stand of his to the area. I think he picked out a great location as it's a natural pinch point with plenty of white oaks. Mason will likely run out of arrows. :)

After setting up the stand we ran around looking at different areas around Strouds, including the campground where we will be staying. The group camping area will provide a really nice environment for this hunt! There is plenty of room if anyone is planning to bring campers, the facilities will be more than adequate! The two "camper cabins" are also clean and more than suitable for the weekend stay.

At some point we saw a few deer and it was evident to Mike how much Mason enjoys seeing them - I told him we rarely see them around home anymore, so Mike said he'd show us some. We drove around for a time with Mike pointing out different properties and some local history. Mason started keeping track of the deer numbers at some point. He came up with a final tally of 79! There is no shortage of deer in Athens Co! Two of the deer we spotted were really nice. One of them Mike said was 150's after looking him over through binoculars, and then we saw another briefly on the same property that I felt was substantially larger than the first. Can't say for sure as it was a short look without glasses, but it was impressive.

Mrex's schedule will not allow him to be a "guide" for the entire group next month fellas, so plan ahead if you can and look things over before you arrive. My impression of the area is that we will see deer most anywhere - there are plenty around! Also, I know some of you have mentioned using canoes to access back regions of the lake. Mike has a fleet of them, and has offered them for your use. A very generous offer again, and if I were so inclined to cross the lake I'd take him up on it!

We have all the makings of a great time at Strouds. After having looked around a little, I'm looking forward to it even more!

Mrex, thanks again for the tour and hospitality!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Jesse, Mason got to see more deer in a two hours yesterday than he has seen in the last four years of hunting. We had a nice time, and I'm sure the weekend hunt will be an extention of that!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Really looking forward too it, thanks for the update Brock.... I was on the phone with Shelley when Mike Mason and you were out and about yeaterday evening.... Looks like you and I have the cabins locked up so far.... Charles and Ric and I will be your neighbors for the weekend.....

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Really looking forward too it, thanks for the update Brock.... I was on the phone with Shelley when Mike Mason and you were out and about yeaterday evening.... Looks like you and I have the cabins locked up so far.... Charles and Ric and I will be your neighbors for the weekend.....

I kinda figured it may have been you that called. Shelly said she had to return a call to someone about the cabin. :) I am now planning to take Mason down for that weekend, so we will likely be packing a tent down for us. If my buddies actually make the trip as they say they are, we are gonna need the room! Makes no difference to me, I'm sure Mason will enjoy the mountainman camping experience!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
This is a pic of the "group area". There is an outhouse, fresh water, and a basketball court with a really low rim for us short-legged white boys. :) Plenty of room to pull in campers and set up a tent city. Nice area.

Attachments

• Canaan-20120927-00393.jpg
    Canaan-20120927-00393.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 80

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I hear these guys are hiding behind every tree down there. We must have made too much noise yesterday because we didn't see any of 'em.

Attachments

• Canaan-20120927-00389.jpg
    Canaan-20120927-00389.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 79

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Yeah, it didn't go over my head. BTW, Mrex thinks that deer has seperate tines...(the King buck)

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
From my calculations it looks like around 24 attending so far.

Anyone else coming that hasn't chimed in?