Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

EHD in Mahoning Co.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
A friend was talking to the WO the other evening. The WO said there were 2 significant outbreaks in the county. He expects the total kill in the county this year to be 50% of last year.

The other thing the WO said is large bucks are more susceptible to EHD because the growing antlers provide easy access to blood when the midges bite.

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
A friend was talking to the WO the other evening. The WO said there were 2 significant outbreaks in the county. He expects the total kill this year to be 50% of last year.

The other thing the WO said is large bucks are more susceptible to EHD because the growing antlers provide easy access to blood when the midges bite.

Great, just what we need..... I haven't really been seeing anything significant all summer now it'll probably get worse..... Oh well hopefully the bunny hunting will be good this year lol.....

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
ODNR lucked out with this drought. Now if anyone blames them for less deer because of too liberal bag limits they can say "It wasn't that, it was EHD." Just like 2010 "It was the acorns" and 2011 "It was the standing corn."

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
A friend was talking to the WO the other evening. The WO said there were 2 significant outbreaks in the county. He expects the total kill in the county this year to be 50% of last year.

That'll save us since we don't have any of those up here...... :smiley_clap:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
EHD was my main argument during our discussions last year on the bogus deer numbers the ODNR has been publishing over the past 6-8 years. Ever since our last big outbreak around the 2007 season their numbers remained high. There were thousands of deer that died due to EHD back then and the following year/years they still said numbers were TOO high and still looking for liberal kill numbers.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Since the harvest numbers are based on harvest, and the harvest numbers are expected to be down, I guess we will see higher bag limits next year. That makes perfect sense to me!

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Since the harvest numbers are based on harvest, and the harvest numbers are expected to be down, I guess we will see higher bag limits next year. That makes perfect sense to me!

I guess the job of an Ohio deer biologist and the job of the weather man are very similar. You can constantly be wrong and still get paid!

Last edited: