Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Buck of a Lifetime?

Schu72

Streetsboro
Most of you know the story of my buck of a lifetime.

I had one other encounter with a buck that may have been bigger, but it happened so fast I'll never know for sure. I think it was the gun opener of 2004. I had a large lease just south of I 70 in Belmont County. After hunting all moring down in a small wooded section on a piece of reclaimed strip mine, I headed back to the truck on my quad. I pulled up to my truck hopped off and decided I'd check this small thicket about 50 yards from my truck. After not seeing anything, I let my guard down slung my gun over my shoulder and turned to go back to the truck. All of a sudden I hear this explosion of noise behind me. As I turn around I see a doe and an enormous buck bust out of the multiflor rose and run straight away from me through the pasture. I had my gun on him but no ethical shot. I prayed for him to stop and look back, but it never happened. He ran until he hit the woodline. I never saw him again. He was huge, but I only saw him for maybe 20 seconds as he covered about 300 yards of pasture.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Most of you know the story of my buck of a lifetime.

I had one other encounter with a buck that may have been bigger, but it happened so fast I'll never know for sure.

Good point Schu. You have "Buck of a Lifetime", then there is "The biggest buck you have seen on stand". Someone's "Buck of a Lifetime" could be 90" and another person's could be 200 depending on the story to go with it. My Buck of Lifetime was one I was hunting.
However, biggest buck from stand I saw was 2-300yds away two years ago. It was bow season and he never got closer than 100yds. Even during muzzle loader season I wouldn't have had a shot thru the trees. However, that may have been the biggest buck I have ever seen from the stand. You know when they are 2-300yds out in the field and you look at them without binoculars thinking "HOLY COW! That is a PIG!". . . . it is one big deer. No idea where he came from. Never saw him again. No trail camera pictures. No idea what he would score. I do know the area has offered a decent amount of sightings from the stand and pictures of 120-140" deer. Just not gotten a shot opportunity at any "shooters" on this property. What I know about this deer? He was CLEARLY bigger than those 120-140" deer. lol