Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The price of corn.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
If you guys plan on doing any baiting this year you might want to find a farmer and buy it off the combine. I just stopped in TSC and the price for a 50 pound bag of corn was 15.99. I made a comment to the guy working there that it was 10.99 two weeks ago. He went and did a price check for me and they actually rang up at 10.99. What happened was they updated their signs before the computer had a chance to update prices.

And this was just straight corn not the kind with a big ass deer on the front.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
This is why I don't bait with corn.... I just can't fuggin afford it, even when the prices were down.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I ain't baiting this year. I'll put out apple snacks before each hunt, but that's it.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
15.99 is insane for 50lbs. 1000 lbs was 185.00 out the door earlier this week at a local feed store.

That's $9.25 per 50 lbs. You're saving about 35 bucks buying it that way in bulk vs 20 bags at TSC for 10.99 a bag.

It's 7.46 a bushel today. 56 lbs a bushel. If you find a farmer who will swing the auger over your bed it should be about 133 per 1000 lbs.

Gordo

Athens County
I didnt get a deal for buying it in bulk. I would have saved 50 cents per 100lb bagif i would have bought ten more bags, making it a ton.

That was their price straight up

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Just got 150 pounds of ear corn for free. Benefits of marrying the farmer's granddaughter. But I tried to buy $100 worth and he wouldn't come off of it. He's a bit stingy despite his occasional generosity.

Gordo

Athens County
My one farmer buddy is down to the 'nitty gritty'. He barely has enough to get his beef through.

Even with him, after the drive to and from, bagging it all, having a place to store it, time and effort, etc... Its hardly worth the coin saved

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
Farmers that have insurance will make out like a fat cat around here if they carried the county average insurance...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
just saw it at walmart for $9 for a 40 lb bag. it was $10.50 at rural king for a 50 lb bag.

That's the funny thing at TSC. The regular corn is 10.99 for 50 lbs. The corn with a deer on the bag is the same price but 40 lbs.