Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Determining your buck

Lundy

I have watched hunting change somewhat over the years with the advent of technology.

Today with trail cams, hunting websites, TV hunting shows, there seems to have been a move towards putting more emphasis on killing a deer that others approve of more than killing what makes the hunter happy, especially younger hunters. This thread and others like it every year clearly show the evolution.

I hope there aren't TOO many hunters that pass on a deer only because they are afraid it will not "measure" up to the scrutiny and approval of others.

Kill what YOU want and have a big time. If you want to wait and only kill big mature bucks that's great but do it for you, not to please someone else.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I haven't a clue if anyone else would shoot this guy, and I don't care. I've let him go the last two seasons, but he's getting kinda old - 6 1/2. I should have killed him last year as his rack was a little better. He rules the roost, or has for the last couple of seasons. Time to go, unless of course something else catches my eye before he walks by.

Any guess on score? :)

Attachments

• burr oak 042.jpg
    burr oak 042.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 85

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
He's been a pretty cool deer for the last several seasons. Last year he had a gob of antler growing down alongside his face, this year it seems to have grown inside his face! I feel bad for him now, that's gotta hurt. I can't help but wonder what the heck he did with the rest of his antler on that side though...

Attachments

• SUNP0008.jpg
    SUNP0008.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 77

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Here are a couple from last year. I should have kiled him then... Of course, now that I'm ready to kill him, he won't show up. I sorta just liked him, cause he likes to hang around and I saw him quite a bit. That goofy rack has probably spared him from more hunters than just me I'd guess. He's big as a horse though and if I kill him it will be interesting to see what he weighs. It would be ideal if he would hop in front of Mason before he hops in front of me!:)

Attachments

• IMG00074-20110905-1303.jpg
    IMG00074-20110905-1303.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG00075-20110905-1308.jpg
    IMG00075-20110905-1308.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 103