Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How would you react?

How would you react?

• I'd assume he's a serial killer trying to set Don and I up for a Texas Chainsaw remake.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Some of you know I have friends in Pike County Illinois and that I've hunted there several times. One thing that always amazed me is how they wouldn't get interested about a biggen unless he was over 150 inches. Growing up in Licking County I honestly thought every buck scored in the 120-130's. Maybe I was just lucky, but when I saw a buck the majority were close to that size. These two previous experiences mirrored the conversation I had today with bowsiter from NM who has hunted Unit 15 several times and the units that surround it.

He told me that an average bull there scored between 300-330. Of course I was skeptical, but then he commented on how the folks in Norther NM think a 280 bull is a monster while down in his area that wouldn't even raise an eye brow. He wasn't overly bragging and was giving/confirming information about the area and what to expect.

His son drew a youth season tag for that area and will be hunting the week before us. He's going to call me nightly and give me updates on how it's going and what to expect.

After this conversation how would you be feeling?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Lay one low, Chuck.
I've only hunted in a hunter's paradise situation one time, and had never previously passed on 130'' deer. Up there I let several that size walk...but it's a different world than what I usually hunt. The trophy is all relative. If you kill the grandaddy of the area, it's still the grandaddy! I doubt you will notice any difference in the rush if you put the crosshairs on a 280 or a 350. Seriously, kill one of the better animals you see, and you will know you killed one of the better animals available! Good luck, and I'm looking forward to the story!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I would do more homework that's for sure. I would think you could dig up some recent info from that area pretty easy if it's true. People that shoot big animals tend to show pics and at least a little info about where it came from. I'm sure you have checked with thier DNR webpage ? Wonder if they have anything like ours for people to post pics with info ?

300-330" bulls being the norm would be a hell of a setup if it holds water. I know NM was lightyears ahead of most states in growing bigger and better bulls with thier managment and regulations then most rocky states so I wouldn't doubt it. Royals and Imperial bulls are not the norm at least they wasn't when I was in Montana. Most where 5x5 or smaller with a few 6x6 (Royals) tossed in but far and few between and if you seen anything bigger you had better shoot it. This was back in 96' so I'm sure it has changed just as buck hunting here has done since the same time frame. Back then the only place I seen Imperial and Monarch bulls was at the local elk farms lol.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I would feel blessed to be there and shoot what tickled my fancy. Your hunt is a bit different than getting picky on local deer. Change your mind on local deer and you might have another shot at them later if you pass them early. On an out of state hunt, I would say kill it if it feels right when you see it. If this is a hunt you are going to take every year or every couple of years, then my thinking might be a little different. Might be a little more picky then.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
To say I'm excited is an understatement, but I've also been at this game long enough (even though lately it hasn't been as much as usual) to know that there are a lot of factors that can come into play. These factors can be positive or negative and you won't really know until you are there.

This is probably the third person who has knowledge of that area to tell me something similar though. With only five days though I'm still going to shoot the first good bull I see, but it's nice to know that there chances are good to kill a biggen.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'd be pumped no doubt! Set your sights on a big framed 6x6 or 7x7 and you won't be disappointed when you walk up to him. Goodluck Chuck.