Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How old were you when you started deer hunting?

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
I think I was around 12 when dad let me start deer hunting. With my first deer at 16.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I started when I was 34. Oldest kid in my safety class, TOO. This is my fifth season. It took me until my third season to get my first, second and third. I took two does last year. I can't tell you how much deer hunting has changed my life. I've really gotten a lot closer to nature and the outdoors. My main motivation was venison, but it's so much more than that. You'll get your first this year, I'm confident of that!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I was 24 and that was 44 yrs ago. Had to go to MI in 1968 as there basicly wasn't any deer in NW Ohio then. How times have changed. 1st deer in 1968.
Frank

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Started rabbit/pheasant hunting back in the early 70's @ 10 or 11 deer Hunted @ 16 first deer @ 27..... its an addiction that I don't ever see giving up till the body gives out.....

BGarrett

Belpre
I started when I was 34. Oldest kid in my safety class, TOO. This is my fifth season. It took me until my third season to get my first, second and third. I took two does last year. I can't tell you how much deer hunting has changed my life. I've really gotten a lot closer to nature and the outdoors. My main motivation was venison, but it's so much more than that. You'll get your first this year, I'm confident of that!

Thanks for the encouragement Mike. I TOO am in it for the meat. I am not a religious man but, there is an awful lot to appreciate when you are all alone perched in a tree.

Huckleberry Finn

Started rabbit/pheasant hunting back in the early 70's @ 10 or 11 deer Hunted @ 16 first deer @ 27..... its an addiction that I don't ever see giving up till the body gives out.....

Dang did you use blackpowders for rabbit hunting?

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I was 38. This will be my 4th season. I did the hunter ed course with my kids.

Seems to me the older you are, the more willing to listen to advice you will be and the more success you will have as a begginer.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I was 15 the first time I finally got to get out...

Grew up loving the outdoors, spending time in the woods whenever I could, but seemed like sports, school, and extra circulars kept me too busy. Long story shot... At 14, I shot my little sister in the ass with my BB gun, and Mom decided that I needed to go to hunter safety classes (taught by my uncle at the time) to learn about gun safety. Always wanted to hunt since I was old enough to stand, so finally at 15, with a hunter safety course complete, my Uncle took me out for my first gun hunt. I always joke about it now, saying if I woulda know how things worked out, I woulda shot my sister with the BB gun much, much sooner!!! lmao

Gordo

Athens County
Does toating around one of those fake 'boom' guns while the old man was hunting count?

Good times. Man we had no idea what we where doing other then some great bonding time, which was the reason the old man ever bought a bow.

If one things for certain it lit my fire which is beginning to rage!