Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What Safety Harness....

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
I have used the Tree Spider (HATED IT) always got bunched up going from sitting to standing, also the buckles are very loud and right in the spot where they hit the stand. I actually gave this away. I have a HSS and it is ok but I really like the MUDDY harness the best.

Schu72

Streetsboro
I have a HSS, not sure of the model. Not that fond of it. Seems heavy and kind of bulky. I'd like to go with something a little slimmer.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I've got a Muddy and love it. The Prusik knot can be a pain to work with at first, but you can loosen it up with one hand and inch it tighter after practicing a bit.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I didnt get to read all the responses.

I am just curious if any of you hang your stands on the back side of the tree, and plan to shoot the other way. I tuck my stands on the back side of the tree then have a lane or two to the right and left of the stand.

What harness would have the longest tether so it does not get in the way?

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
HSS for me TOO. It's alright but don't like how the bottom seatbelt fasteners around your thighs click together as you walk. Occasionally I'll make metal to metal contact when in my stand which sucks as well.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I didnt get to read all the responses.

I am just curious if any of you hang your stands on the back side of the tree, and plan to shoot the other way. I tuck my stands on the back side of the tree then have a lane or two to the right and left of the stand.

What harness would have the longest tether so it does not get in the way?

I don't normally set up for shots on the opposite side of my stand. Usually, I try to position my stand in trees that offer cover in front of me. But, of course, there are always exceptions. Most of the safety harnesses on the market have a relatively short tether that makes it difficult to shoot behind you. To combat this, all I do is leave slack in my tree attachment strap instead of cinching it tight to the tree. The slack in this strap adds to the total length of my tether... usually just enough to spin and tuck it under an arm. I normally have a bow hanger screwed into the tree about head-high, so this keeps the "loose" tree attachment strap from sliding down the tree.

Am I jeopardizing the effectiveness of the tether by doing this?... Possibly. Is it still better than wearing no safety harness at all?... Absolutely.