Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Would you fix it?

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
The deer did grow it. You aren't creating something that was never there.

Just curious...for those of you against anler repair, what are your thoughts on the Johnny King buck? He shot the antler off, so should it be scored? And how would that be different than a buck losing an antler in a fight?

So he shot it off. Weather due to a bee flying down his shirt or poor shot placement, he did it to himself. The situation is a shame but thats the way it hit the ground.
BTW- I'm not trying to be confrontational here Schu72. Its just my opine in a interesting discussion. :smiley_coolpeace:

Schu72

Streetsboro
So he shot it off. Weather due to a bee flying down his shirt or poor shot placement, he did it to himself. The situation is a shame but thats the way it hit the ground.
BTW- I'm not trying to be confrontational here Schu72. Its just my opine in a interesting discussion. :smiley_coolpeace:

No worries...
I just brought it up as I know there was a good deal of interest in that buck being panel scored. I beleive the B&C changed it stance on repairs somewhat recently and now allows certain types of repairs to be scored.

Last edited:

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
I have never fixed a rack and I shot a nice buck a few years ago that's main beam was broken off above the brow tine. I shot that buck in some thick stuff during shotgun season and did not know his rack was broken. Some one asked if I was going to get it fixed and I said no because I did not have any pics and had no idea what he even looked like. I dont know what I would do if I shot a really good buck and knew what he had though. It would not bother me though if some one else had one fixed.

mrex

*Supporting member*
I arrowed a buck that was over my target minimum when I touched the release and under my target minimum when I recovered him 5 minutes later. On his death run he leaped off of steep ravine and broke his left G4 on impact. I had the taxidermist make the repair. Scott is correct, the B&C Club has changed their stance on broken points and the BBBC does follow the B&C Standard, but I've never attempted to have my broken tine buck officially scored...I don't need the additional scrutiny.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Was there any antler repair Chad? If so, how much? I see on the web they charge about $ 25.00 per inch for repair.

Very little actual repair on the deers right side, but the main beam was chewed heavily on the left antler, along with a few surface chews. The biggest thing that was done was having the antlers reconditioned and stained to look like the original buck they came from, since it was 5 years from the time the antler was dropped until found.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
To me it depends on the individual and circumstances. I put a friend on a 140 class 10 point. Had a good pic of him on Thurs. and he was shot on a Saturday with a broken G4. Taxidermist took my cam picture and did the repair for him. The deer is introduced as "Broken and Repaired". My Taxidermist did a Great job and there was no additional charge.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Now that you guys are mentioning shooting the antler off or it being damaged on the death run, I think I'd fix it in that case. If the buck slid into a tree as he died and cracked a side off or something, that would suck roayally and I would defeinitely fix that. However, if it was already broke before I shot, I don't think I'd fix it.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio

Just curious...for those of you against anler repair, what are your thoughts on the Johnny King buck? He shot the antler off, so should it be scored? And how whould that be different than a buck losing an antler in a fight?

If you can find the broken pieces to where it cab be put back together how it was, fine, but I don't see taking the liberties to recreate a 3" kicker a buck broke off during the rut just because. Just not my cup of tea. Then again, I would never shoot a deer in the antlers either. lol

Just curious...for those of you against anler repair, what are your thoughts on the Johnny King buck? He shot the antler off, so should it be scored? And how whould that be different than a buck losing an antler in a fight?

If it's broken and lost then it's lost. The big difference is he was able to recover the pieces and in that instance I would say put the puzzle back together. Should it be scored?? Well, if there is any way to manipulate those pieces to gain in the score then there certainly should be some sort of asterisk next to the score. JMHO though...............

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
If I had history with the deer and could verify through pics how big he was, I'd def fix it. But just for my own wall, not for any inches purposes...

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Touchy subject. I wouldn't repair a rack. If the dead deer doesn't have it then the finished rack just doesn't have it. JMHO.
Frank

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
Now that you guys are mentioning shooting the antler off or it being damaged on the death run, I think I'd fix it in that case. If the buck slid into a tree as he died and cracked a side off or something, that would suck roayally and I would defeinitely fix that. However, if it was already broke before I shot, I don't think I'd fix it.

I would probably have it fixed in this case but, other wise I would not. I also don't have a problem with someone that wants to. It's just not something I would do.

chetter74

if you have the piece I say fix it if he's good enough to shoot broke then I think he's good enough to be on the wall broke . I think every set of horns I have has something broke on em .

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
I wouldnt have it fixed, the way he looks when you walk up to recover him is the way to put him on the wall, if someone wants to have it fixed then I dont have a problem with it but its not for me, this deer I shot in 2007 and after shooting him he ran full blast into a maple tree, busted off his right brow tine, we looked but couldnt find it so I had him mounted that way.

krystals cam 085.jpg