Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What would you do?

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
CJD3(Jim) started a thread about seeing a nice buck carrying only one side. This jarred a thought back in my memory of wondering what I would do if I was ever presented a shot at a world class deer with severe rack damage or even a whole rack missing.

Let's use two different scenarios.

One deer you've been after for 4 years and have had encounters and film of him but just never were presented a shot. He would have scored 200"+ but one of his massive beams was busted clean off taking 40-50 inches off his gross score. He comes walking by and stops 20 yards broadside looking the other way. You assessed him for several minutes and you know it the buck you've been after but see all the damage. Would you shoot him?

Other deer is a typical 6 point with just one side, it scores 100" and you have the same history with this deer as the first one. It has serious mass and tine length but the other side just didn't grow. Same hunting situation, do you shoot?

Another question: Would not having history effect your decision either way?

This is only a fraction of stupid shit I think about during the off seasons! Rotflmao

Hope the season hurrys up and gets here!

I shoot video of the first deer and shoot to kill the second deer and history or not I do the same.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I honestly don't know what I'd do in either case..... The guy trying too get the deer in his area too mature in me said give them a pass.... The guy who's thinking these deer aren't going too make through this season due too neighboor hunting practices says drop him like a bad habbit so I'm not sure what I'd do in this case..... Probably they would walk off while Iwas trying too decide :smiley_clap:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'd video the first deer and hope like hell he made it! Depending on my season, I'd probably shoot the second buck. As for other situations, it would depend on the deer and how my season was going.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
I dont have the property to manage and or the time to hunt alot so with that said, Im prolly gonna go with the way I feel at the time of opportunity which I know I would be rattled and shoot the first one. I wish I had the will power to wait for him for the next year.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I would shoot them both especially the first. I don't get my deer scored officially. No books (would only make P&Y right now anyway). It is about the deer not his rack to me right now. Might change my tune in a year or two. No wrong answer.

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
I wouldn't shoot either of them if I really knew their racks were busted. I guess I would hold out hope (however slim) that I may see one next year. Back in 2000 I shot a big bodied old buck chasing a doe on opening day of shotgun on a quick decision shot that had busted most of his tines off. As luck would have it, later that year I could have shot a beautiful 10 point but had to give him a free ride. It still bugs me!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Agreed Beener. No wrong answers here.

Last year myself and 2 buddies were hunting a deer with a massive typical side (for our area) and a funky left side. He had a double main beam in which the second beam went straight up approximately 18" but was not real big in mass. Saw him twice from the stand but never had a shot. Both times within 65yds. Once at 30yds but there was a huge bush between us and I was on the ground. This year the same deer is crazy on the left side again. No double main beam, but looks as if the left main beam has a 90 degree twist in it after the g3. I don't know how else to describe it. The one friend of mine has watched this deer for 6 years now. He was believed to be 6.5yr old minimum last year. His typical side is a little smaller this year. Broken up or not, I will not hesitate on this deer this season.

Early in the season and all busted up? I don't know. Probably decide in the tree.

Just popped up out of nowhere and need to make a quick decision? Probably a tree stand decision as well. I think it would be based on what time of the season it is. Late season, huge deer, funky rack or busted up. . . .I would probably take him. First week of the season? Probably wait and see if I could get a better look and make a less "rushed" decision.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
CJD3(Jim) started a thread about seeing a nice buck carrying only one side. This jarred a thought back in my memory of wondering what I would do if I was ever presented a shot at a world class deer with severe rack damage or even a whole rack missing.

Let's use two different scenarios.

One deer you've been after for 4 years and have had encounters and film of him but just never were presented a shot. He would have scored 200"+ but one of his massive beams was busted clean off taking 40-50 inches off his gross score. He comes walking by and stops 20 yards broadside looking the other way. You assessed him for several minutes and you know it the buck you've been after but see all the damage. Would you shoot him?

Other deer is a typical 6 point with just one side, it scores 100" and you have the same history with this deer as the first one. It has serious mass and tine length but the other side just didn't grow. Same hunting situation, do you shoot?

Another question: Would not having history effect your decision either way?

This is only a fraction of stupid shit I think about during the off seasons! Rotflmao

Hope the season hurrys up and gets here!

I shoot video of the first deer and shoot to kill the second deer and history or not I do the same.

Wouldn't shoot either one. Let em breed another year and get after them next season.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
If there was a way to know that the 2nd buck was not going to grow the 2nd side (i.e. he had been missing the side for several years), I may shoot him and mount him, 100 inch one side, hell yeah that bad boy would look good on the wall with even one side.

Majority of the time though, I would let busted up racks or half racks walk. I'm not extremely picky, P&Y and it's a shooter/wall hanger in my book. I put does in the freezer and eat tag soup if I have to. Now 5 years ago I would have shot either of them, brown it's down! :smiley_clap: Just at a different point in my hunting career now.

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
I would like to think I would pass the first deer, but it all depends at that moment. The other it would depend on the time of the season. I would shoot it in late season since I only have one tag.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
I wouldnt shoot a stud with one side busted off. But there is a buck on our hunting property that has one good side, And the other
side looks like a large spike. I;d shoot his ass.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I don't have the options some of you seem to have by "Picking or targeting" a deer. I love the hunt and I love the meat. I don't kill babies but usually, "brown is down."
Hell. just look at my avatar. I'm not real picky. lol

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Well, thats a tuffy! The first buck I would probably shoot. Mainly the history and age class still puts him at the shooter list. Sometimes you just gotta go with your gut and heart! For me the thought of shooting a true, old monarch,busted up or not. Is what really does it for me.