Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

PERFECT Timing!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
This was the first September 1st in many years that I didn't get out to shoot either doves, geese, or teal. It was tough to hear of my brother's group shooting 3 limits of doves in just under 2 hours, or of Jake whacking 4 limits of geese by 7:30... I mean, that's just fuggin lights-out action and shooting. But, I had made up my mind that I wanted to rent a cultipacker and yesterday was the only day I could do it, with the holiday coming up.

So I made the trip south, picked up the cultipacker, and got to work. I had sprayed three areas two weeks ago, but yesterday I realized I made a mistake and didn't buy enough oats or rye. As a result, I only ended up planting two of the plots instead of three... which was fine, because by the time I finished number 2 I was whooped! lol

Both of these plots are between 1/4-acre and 1/2-acre in size. This first one is in a new spot that I've never planted before. And I really can't believe that I never have... It's a triangle-shaped plot, located in a subtle inside corner, with somewhat of a secondary ridge or "bench" right below it. This area has always been good for deer movement, and I think should be a dynamite killing plot.

Mowed and sprayed, and after several passes with the disk... By the way, we tried a tiller first, but the ground was so hard it just wasn't happening.

Cultipacked after spreading the oats and rye...

This view is from a little secluded "cove" in the back of the plot...

This cultipacker really kicked some ass. I've had decent results planting without one in years past, so I'm really looking forward to seeing how my results compare this year. I am pretty optimistic about this. In case anyone is interested, I rented the cultipacker from Schlabach Engine & Equipment down in Apple Creek... $35 for the day. Real nice people down there in Apple Creek. They even let me drop it off after-hours...

This plot has been going for 3 seasons now. Nothing real special about it... It's just in a nice open area, just above a mature stand of oaks and hickories. I've killed a couple deer and several groundhogs over this plot.

All finished up...

Both plots were planted with a mixture of Jerry Oats, Winter Rye, Austrian Winter Peas, Groundhog Forage Radishes, and Medium Red Clover.

The best part of yesterday was watching a slow steady rain shower come down not 3 hours after I finished planting! :smiley_bril:

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If I were to change one thing, though, I would have waited 3 weeks after spraying instead of 2. Even though it was dead, there was quite a bit of vegetation leftover in these plots. I did my best to drag most of it out of there with the spike harrow, but I'm sure there will still be some spots where the seed-to-soil contact is poor. Oh well... It'll still be better than nothing at all.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Looking good JB! I may rent one or build a cultipacker next year. Hope they grow well for you!!!

We got a lot of rain this weekend as well. My plots should all be fantastic...

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Very nice!
Don't worry about the missed hunt. Your day will come soon enough.

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
If I were to change one thing, though, I would have waited 3 weeks after spraying instead of 2. Even though it was dead, there was quite a bit of vegetation leftover in these plots. I did my best to drag most of it out of there with the spike harrow, but I'm sure there will still be some spots where the seed-to-soil contact is poor. Oh well... It'll still be better than nothing at all.

Those plots look like good spots. Isn't it great when things work out like the timing of the rain this weekend? More rain today and high chances the rest of the week with moderating temperatures should get you some green gold growing. I wouldn't be worried about the dead vegetation too much. Between the rain settling the seed and your cultipacker, you should be fine. Heck last year we had a tractor tire puncture on us and had to seed directly into a roundup killed field with a mix simiar to yours and it came up fine.

Keep us updated!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Those plots look like good spots. Isn't it great when things work out like the timing of the rain this weekend? More rain today and high chances the rest of the week with moderating temperatures should get you some green gold growing. I wouldn't be worried about the dead vegetation too much. Between the rain settling the seed and your cultipacker, you should be fine. Heck last year we had a tractor tire puncture on us and had to seed directly into a roundup killed field with a mix simiar to yours and it came up fine.

Keep us updated!

I hope you're right. I'm pretty optimistic about these plots, but I've been wrong before. If anything I'm assuming that the little bit of residual vegetation will help hold moisture in these plots... which would be pretty beneficial. I really wish I would have hung a trailcam over one of these plots so that I could see a time-lapse of the growth.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I had the same concern on my larger plot JB and it appears that it won't be an issue. I'll keep you posted, but I think the idea of it acting as mulch and holding moisture may "hold some water"... :smiley_crocodile:

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I had the same concern on my larger plot JB and it appears that it won't be an issue. I'll keep you posted, but I think the idea of it acting as mulch and holding moisture may "hold some water"... :smiley_crocodile:

thats true a lot of guys will overseed into a thatch cause it hold moisture when its a drought type year.

Also JB and anyone else you can spray GLY or Round up and seed the same day, it will not effect the growth I have done it several times.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
thats true a lot of guys will overseed into a thatch cause it hold moisture when its a drought type year.

Also JB and anyone else you can spray GLY or Round up and seed the same day, it will not effect the growth I have done it several times.

That's true, gly doesn't affect seed germination. But I can only see spraying and planting the same day if it's a no-till planting. If you're going to till, it'd be pointless to spray and till on the same day because the plants you sprayed won't have enough time to suck the gly down to their roots.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
That's true, gly doesn't affect seed germination. But I can only see spraying and planting the same day if it's a no-till planting. If you're going to till, it'd be pointless to spray and till on the same day because the plants you sprayed won't have enough time to suck the gly down to their roots.

thats true, I normally till an area up then see what grows then spray, then spray again and seed to try and get as weed free plot as possible.