Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Scent Smokers Are In.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
85 miles west of Athens... Greenfield Ohio.

Mike, I have a boat! I seriously plan to keep that thing wet until the weather forces me to quit. I have never done a lot of fall fishing, due to hunting, but this year I plan to change that.

Joe, I took Mason to the public dove fields the other day. There were only two others there! You coming down this year?

Was it a weekend day you we're there? How were the doves?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
It was Monday after returning from NY. There were enough around to shoot, but nothing to allow you to shoot 300+ rounds. :) I suspect there will be more coming through before long.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Brock you better get a picture while down at camp rec. I bet that is going to be a site. That will probably be the most smokers going at once you will ever see.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Brock you better get a picture while down at camp rec. I bet that is going to be a site. That will probably be the most smokers going at once you will ever see.

That has crossed my mind! I have had pictures sent to me with about 10 guys in a barn all getting "smokey", but this will likely be a rare photo op! haha. Good stuff, Steve. I wonder if we can get Tonk to pose in his longjohns while smokin up....hehe

Milo

Tatonka guide.
we will prolly need a disclaimer...."no odnr employees were harmed during this event":smiley_clap:

Huckleberry Finn

I need a new bag of chips.

The biggest pro about the scent smoker, IMO, that hasn't been mentioned is that it's dirt cheap. I think mine was $35 two years ago? How quick can you spend $35 on hunting gear - let alone on scentlock, sprays, and that crap?! And $35 that works until you back over it with your truck...

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Today...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1347238528636.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1347238528636.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 171
Some of my hunting property is a couple miles from my house. Would it hurt to smoke up before the ride
from my house to my hunting property?

My opinion, probably not but keep in mind everything your clothes touch on the ride in can become a bit contaminated. Probably best to smoke up your clothes, put them in a tote and transport them to your hunting property and then get dressed there. I always have a couple of well smoked towels that I use to wipe my face, hair, bow and anything else when I won't have time to fire up the smoker just before a hunt.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
My opinion, probably not but keep in mind everything your clothes touch on the ride in can become a bit contaminated. Probably best to smoke up your clothes, put them in a tote and transport them to your hunting property and then get dressed there. I always have a couple of well smoked towels that I use to wipe my face, hair, bow and anything else when I won't have time to fire up the smoker just before a hunt.

Agreed... use totes to transport your clothes and change when you get out of the truck. I even cut a small hole in my tote and I let the smoke blow into that hole and then put tape over the hole to keep the smoke in there. I always do this the night before a morning hunt. When I get to my spot, I open up the tote and the smoke floats out. It's a beautiful thing and everything is perfectly "smoked up".

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Another vote for the tote.... makes it a lot easier and your clothes just soak up that smoke. I dress in base layers on the ride out, then everything else gets put on in the field.