Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Scent Smokers Are In.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Somebody like Brock or Jesse answer this question for me.....I have never personally seen a commercial on TV for the scent smoker...maybe I haven't been paying attention and there are some, but this is a great product. Is the smoker currently being advertised on any outdoor networks? I have never heard Wadell, Lee and Tiff or any of the big names refer to it. Someone clue me in on this please.

Chad, the thing hit a bump in the road a couple of years ago. It has never been advertised heavily. Mark Hicks wrote a small piece about it in Field and Stream. Mike Rex has mentioned it in North American Whitetail. M.R. James doesn't write much anymore for magazines, but if a person speaks to him on a personal level he will preach about it. Before turning over SS to BuckEye Cam a couple years back, the last smokers I shipped out went to Jon and Gina Brunson. A lot of people use the thing, but I don't pay anyone to promote it. It is under-marketed admittedly, but since having taken it back over it is my plan to let word of mouth do the work. Folks like to share what works...we don't need to advertise beyond hunters sharing with their buddies. I know it is not a great business plan for profit...but it is not the same old crap that hunters are used to getting suckered into buying either! This thing really DOES WORK! I've always liked being able to tell people that it is the only hunting related technique you can try before you buy - build a fire and find out for yourself. In time, after a person sees how effective it is, they are more than likely going to purchase a Scent Smoker because it makes the technique a snap. And if they don't, at least I know I helped them enjoy hunting a little more....its just flat fun to beat their nose!

I'm sure in time it will be a widely known practice. It is too good not to take off. I want it to grow at a steady pace, but don't want to be too over-whelmed and not be able to service customers. Businesses have to grow at a manageable rate IMO. Over-advertising while working with a limited budget is not a good idea, at least to me. I may never make much money at it with this mindset, but I do find it very satisfying to know some of the best hunters in the world are using it...especially knowing how much crap I took when the idea was introduced!:) Heck, I've gotten to know people I idolized as a kid through it. You can't beat that!

Having said all that, I know for a fact we don't ship a single SS if you fellas stop talking about it. I used to follow where the traffic to the site came from and it always lead back to a guy from Ohio on some far off forum. When the thing started, it started at the other site as many of you recall. Those members s, spread the word all over. Heck, I shipped one to MT just yesterday, and I think I've shipped 'em to every state in the past. How the heck does a guy in MT hear about our lil secret? You guys tell 'em...and I am thankful for it! I think there is a lot more validity to it when a guy hears about it from his buddy vs. Lee and Tiff. Your word holds a lot more weight than their's!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I just ordered one, cant wait to try it. If you dont have hickory trees where you hunt should you use a different type of wood?
Any hardwood will work, and animals don't seem to care about the flavor. I shot an elk in NM at 4 steps while smelling like hickory. I don't think there was a hickory tree within 500 miles of that place.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
It especially works well if you have people near your property you hunt, that burn continuosly during the colder months. Its a smell they are used to smelling.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Maybe, Wayne. I honestly don't think it matters.

Tom, saw your order. It will ship this afternoon.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I too can attest to the Scent Smoker. For several years, I too was one of the skeptics. This will be my third season now using the Smoker and I honestly believe it's one of the best pieces of equipment in my arsenal. Like Gern mentioned, I also never really had a problem with getting winded before using the SS. I was always conscious about staying scent-free and "playing the wind"... I still do, most of the time... But the SS gives you more room for error, IMO. These days, if I can't find the absolute perfect tree for the wind, I'll hunt it anyway because I know the SS has my back. Just in the last two seasons, I've had quite a few deer directly downwind that never had a clue I was there.

The first season I used the SS, all the other guys in my deer camp chastized the hell out of me. I wasn't even allowed to keep my hunting gear inside next to theirs. But guess who saw the most deer that week?... many of which were straight downwind in the swirling hills of SE Ohio... Yep, me. My dad was one of the biggest skeptics of the bunch, now guess who smokes up his clothes before the season starts... Yep, dad does.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Maybe, Wayne. I honestly don't think it matters.

It make sense, People around where I hunt burn all year, wether its clean up, or for warmth or whatever. Deer smell that smoke all the time, its not new or alarming.

It also has the added benefits of not spraying cold scent killers on yourself when its cold out. You get to be around a nice warm smoker.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Any hardwood will work, and animals don't seem to care about the flavor. I shot an elk in NM at 4 steps while smelling like hickory. I don't think there was a hickory tree within 500 miles of that place.

Shot my buck last year smelling like mesquite wood chips lol. True story. It was the only chips left at the local store so I picked it up and have been using it for the past 2 seasons and the deer don't pay it much attention not smelling like all the other wood burners around here. Like Joe said, They toss their nose in the air and take a big wiff and stand there for a second and go right back to what they was doing. Cool stuff and I wouldn't think about hunting without it now.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
My thought is that if smoke is a familiar smell in their neighborhood, that are even less likely to give a shit about smelling it in the woods. But I know it also works just about anywhere!

I'm still as diligent about my scent control as I've ever been, and I still pay attention to the wind. The smoke is just icing on the cake...

Diablo54

Outside
I smoked up before smoking up was cool. Used to use the wood burner to smoke up. Hell the Indians did it and it worked for them.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I use it religiously since I gave it a try about four years ago. It has worked especially well for me. The largest property I have to hunt is about 85 acres with the smallest being 3. And with some of the better properties being a half hour drive it isn't like if I get there and the wind isn't blowing the direction I want then I just go to a different place. I decide where I am going to hunt and then hunt it. For example one of my favorites is only 12 1/2 acres. But is only about 200 usa wide the whole property and a good half hour drive. I can't tell you how many times I have been hunting there and had the wind blowing in all different directions while in the stand. The smoker slows me to hunt where I want when I want with minimal fear of getting busted from scent.

chetter74

I had mine for a couple of years in the box never used it ( got from Brock threw my brother in law ) wasn't sure about it , got it out last year started useing it . figured out I was a bumb ass for not useing it as soon as I got it.

ohio
So if you hunt a lot of urban areas should you smoke up with some trash and old chicken bones? Lol I will be getting one in the near future!

I just ordered one, cant wait to try it. If you dont have hickory trees where you hunt should you use a different type of wood?

Most box stores that have any kind of grilling section will have hickory, cherry or even apple wood chips for the people who smoke food. You just want to get the stuff that isn't in big chunks and not the fine sawdust kind either. I use mostly hickory to get started and then snuff out the flames with red pine needles and even a small pine cone or two. Absolutely love that smell and every time I open my totes in the off season I get a big whiff of it to bring back the memories.

Schu72

Streetsboro
Got mine today. I have one question, there was a small piece of metal laying in the box (about 1.5"x1.5" with wings). Can't tell what it's for. Help.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
THe clips helps with storage, and also to keep the bellow closed. It's leather and you will find that as you move it around, it can be punchured, burned, etc.

Brock, I'll be placing an order here soon. I am supposed to be having dinner with Gregg Ritz next week and my brother has already discussed the SS with him. He has never heard of it, and is intrigued. I have a good feeling you will be selling one to him and the Horton team members in the near future:smiley_clap: