Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Scent Smokers Are In.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
So let me get this straight, You guys go into the woods smelling like a smoked piece of meat??? And it works??
This is a new one to me.
Can someone explain how and why this works please. Thanx

Correct. I was one of the biggest skeptics and only bought one to "disprove it". Been using one for 4-5 seasons now and never go in the woods without smoking up. It not only works man, it will floor you how well it works. You'll giggle like a schoolgirl the first time you see that deer cut downwind of you, throw it's head in the air and get a nose full of smoke, then go back about his business without a care in the world. They just disregard it and go about what they were doing. It's simple and only takes a couple minutes once you get out of the truck.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Correct. I was one of the biggest skeptics and only bought one to "disprove it". Been using one for 4-5 seasons now and never go in the woods without smoking up. It not only works man, it will floor you how well it works. You'll giggle like a schoolgirl the first time you see that deer cut downwind of you, throw it's head in the air and get a nose full of smoke, then go back about his business without a care in the world. They just disregard it and go about what they were doing.

Yep. My first hunt after smoking up was strictly to prove it wrong. Instead, I was converted at the sight of two mature does with 3 yearlings who spent 8 minutes downwind of me. I always tell people that the deer still smell you, but it is nothing that makes the turn tail and run. I've seen it peak their curiosity and they'll actually come closer. In 4 full seasons of smoking up, I have still not had a deer snort at me. Before all this, I was the biggest carbon fan boy on the block. Today, all my Scent Blocker smells like a camp fire!!!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Easy way to do it is just build a fire and smoke everything over that. If you like it and have success, the Scent Smoker just makes life that much easier!!! It really is a concept that most people think "WTF" the first time they hear about it. But if you are willing to try something new, it is tactic that makes a difference. I'll tell you who is the biggest "poster boy" for converts is and that's Gern. When he tried it and had success, I knew things were getting real!!!

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Easy way to do it is just build a fire and smoke everything over that. If you like it and have success, the Scent Smoker just makes life that much easier!!! It really is a concept that most people think "WTF" the first time they hear about it. But if you are willing to try something new, it is tactic that makes a difference. I'll tell you who is the biggest "poster boy" for converts is and that's Gern. When he tried it and had success, I knew things were getting real!!!

Yeah, and I got my uncle into using it last year also, and he is from the old school of deer hunting. Whenever I fired it up last year he was right there smoking his clothes with it too after I described the results I had. Let me also say that I never really had much problem before with getting busted by deer, but it did happen on occasion. The main reason I tried it last year was because I hunted hilly country for the first time and there are swirling winds in those hills. Its not a gimmick like most things out there, and it's not an excuse to be lazy with other important aspects of hunting, but for the little bit of money and time invested in one it is well worth it.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
wow you guys are making me want to try this! haha

I have always been anal about sent control. I have had does down wind of me before look up at me , put their nose in the air, and still not smell me, and walk right under me.

I just think that this smoke might be even better, but I am like a nervous lil girl to try it. Many of you all you speak highly of it are much better hunters and have killed much bigger deer then me so maybe I need to SACK up haha.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Somebody like Brock or Jesse answer this question for me.....I have never personally seen a commercial on TV for the scent smoker...maybe I haven't been paying attention and there are some, but this is a great product. Is the smoker currently being advertised on any outdoor networks? I have never heard Wadell, Lee and Tiff or any of the big names refer to it. Someone clue me in on this please.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
To my knowledge, I do not believe SS has ever received press on that level. The closest it gets is with the M.R. James and Mike Rex approval. You would never get Lee and Tiffany to advertise it because it goes against everything Scent Lok and Scent Killer stand for. Same goes for just about every other big name, they are all getting wads of cash from one of the carbon clothing companies and/or scent spray companies. And now Ozonics is paying out the ass to be pimped by Primos and the Drurys among others. I won't speak for Brock, but I can't see him spending the kind of money it would take to gain national exposure. If it goes big like that, it'll almost have to be good faith advertising...

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Its about the $. They don't use it because it is the best product. They use it because they get paid to. Don't think Brock wants to pay them $200k a year for a sponsorship/mentions.

AT I am a recent convert compared to some of these guys and it works. I still recommend a good scent free shower before smoking up.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I just ordered one, cant wait to try it. If you dont have hickory trees where you hunt should you use a different type of wood?

I don't think that matters. Some guys don't use hickory because they claim it gives them a headache. Some prefer apple trees. I use the hickory that comes in the bags at Lowe's.
Some guys, like Hoot, create their own shavings from their log pile. Just burn some wood. You'll be good to go.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I don't think it matters what kind of trees grow in your area as the deer aren't going to smell it and think: "Hey, that's hickory smoke. Something is fishy." I use hickory because I like the smell better than the "bitter" finish of oak. I buy my chips from Home Depot or Lowes and they always have at least 3 kinds to try...

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
The SS works, there's plenty of testemonials on here about it, if you've been on here for any amount of time then you know when we post something and we give it the thumbs up you can take that too the bank..... Gauren darn tee it..... :smiley_coolpeace:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I just ordered one, cant wait to try it. If you dont have hickory trees where you hunt should you use a different type of wood?

Any type of hardwood works, apple, cherry, oak, hickory etc. Nothing soft like pine or poplar. That's because wood smoke has antibacterial and antimicrobial properties. These properties are found in higher concentrations in hardwood smoke. It not only smell like smoke. But it also kills bacteria and microbes that cause odor.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Somebody like Brock or Jesse answer this question for me.....I have never personally seen a commercial on TV for the scent smoker...maybe I haven't been paying attention and there are some, but this is a great product. Is the smoker currently being advertised on any outdoor networks? I have never heard Wadell, Lee and Tiff or any of the big names refer to it. Someone clue me in on this please.

If we had smell-o-vision i think you would find more use it than you think. They just don't pimp it because companies are paying millions to promoter their clothing, sprays, detergents and other products. TV guys have two jobs, promote products that pay them, and kill big deer. But I think you would be amazed at some of the name whose scent loc clothing smells like smoke.