Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Scent Smokers Are In.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I have them. It'd be nice to see you, Greg (bring Katie:) ). You do realize I live about 100 miles west of Athens, right? Let me know if you decide to come up. Maybe Joe can make it down too and we'll go shoot some doves!

That just means it's considered a road trip! I'll shoot you a PM early next week once I see what my schedule looks like, but right now Wednesday is looking like the day. May have to push it back a week though. I'll let you know either way!

lung buster

hocking county
I told myself that i was going to try it this year but im not sure i can bring myself to do it. Obviously everybody has great results but it goes against everything that i have practiced for years. I need to decide soon before brock is sold out!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I told myself that i was going to try it this year but im not sure i can bring myself to do it. Obviously everybody has great results but it goes against everything that i have practiced for years. I need to decide soon before brock is sold out!

You sound like most of us about 5 years ago. Now we all smell like campfires. Do what I did when I was still a skeptic. I took an old set of clothes and smoked them over a small fire, went to a spot early in the season that was just a doe spot and hunted it on the wrong wind. After videoing 2 mature does with 3 yearlings downwind of me for over 8 minutes, all inside 45 yards, I was sold.

It will blow your mind, not the deer...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Just about needed that spare this morning! I started smoking up and the rain was pounding, so I backed the truck in the barn to listen to some tunes and cover maps on the laptop while it rained. Thought I had the smoker far enough to the side!!!

Close one!!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346587083.331410.jpg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ha! That was a close one! It isn't like you'd have been the first!

The smokers are made in China. This batch came from a domestic source, but will likely be the last time I deal with them.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
ok so do you all just put the chips in with a bit of paper, let it burn them smoke up?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Lay it over on it's bellows. Stick a propane torch in for a minute or so. Once the chips are burning, shut the lid. Work the bellows enough to keep it smoking but not enough to blow flames out of the smoker. No paper needed. Pretty easy after you've done it a time or two.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I was going to mention the back flashing if you pump the bellows to much. Almost caught my wifes hair on fire once. :p

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Yeah, it adds to the excitement when that happens. It's an error you won't make too many times. :)

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
A couple friends of mine are placing orders with you Brock. After sharing my smoker with them last year, they are sold on it.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Yeah, it adds to the excitement when that happens. It's an error you won't make too many times. :)

:smiley_clap:

Ain't that the truth!!!

Hopped in my truck this morning and it smelled "sweet" in there from the hickory smoke bath I gave it this weekend. Damn I love that smell!!!

Last edited:

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I light mine with a propane torch...only takes about 30 seconds to get a good burn going on the wood chips. I let it burn for about a minute, then stand it up and blow out the flames, close the lid and you have all the smoke you need.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
So let me get this straight, You guys go into the woods smelling like a smoked piece of meat??? And it works??
This is a new one to me.
Can someone explain how and why this works please. Thanx

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
So let me get this straight, You guys go into the woods smelling like a smoked piece of meat??? And it works??
This is a new one to me.
Can someone explain how and why this works please. Thanx

Yep. Start reading some of the responses half way down the second page. Visit the Scent Smoker website TOO and read some of the reviews. I was a huge skeptic the first time I heard about it. Now, I'm one of the biggest fans of the Smoker. Hands down, the single most effective change I have made in my entire hunting career...

http://www.theohiooutdoors.com/showthread.php?8897-How-much-do-I-love-my-Scent-Smoker/page2