Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

BAD NEWS - Ohio has EHD

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
If no one didn't know. Ohio has been hit by EHD.. Everyone remembers the tons of deer dropping like flys around salk fork and not once was it publicized back in 2007.

Well i just read a article from the News Herald that a DEER FARM in Southwestern Ohio had a bunch of deer infected with it..
http://www.archerywire.com/releases/267143/
Everyone knows Jeff, hes been around a long time writing for Ohio. I think we need to shit cam these damn DEER FARMING>>> i think they are the main cause for diseases in most native animals... JMTC

So if you go to the Ohio DNr site and read what they say, its very tricky and evasive wording.
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/wil...eplaceholder/Diseases/tabid/5830/Default.aspx

WE ALL NEED TO FIND OUT IF ITS SAFE TO EAT THIS MEAT!!!

Also it has been confirmed it is all over IA, MO, MI, and IN. so that is not good news...

Last edited:

Shoulder Blade

Not the first time, won't be the last....EHD is a whole different animal the CWD.

Yes this is true. CWD is no joke. While you can get hit by a truck tomorrow, I certainly would not consume any deer meat harvested anywhere near the infected areas, no matter what the natural resource people say. The prions are in every part of the animal not just the spinal tissue. Those areas are screwed. They can remove all the animals from the area, introduce new clean animals in a few months the animals are infected.

In addition there is no way to remove the prions once they are found.

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
I do know there is certainly a big difference between CWD and EHD...

BUT

when the Ohio DNR says:

There appears to be no risk associated with direct exposure to the virus or in consuming a deer that has been infected with the virus.

ThT TELLS ME THEY DO NOT KNOW...

ohio
I do know there is certainly a big difference between CWD and EHD...

BUT

when the Ohio DNR says:

There appears to be no risk associated with direct exposure to the virus or in consuming a deer that has been infected with the virus.

ThT TELLS ME THEY DO NOT KNOW...

Appears to be. Isn't a solid answer and we haven't had it round enough to truely find out, if it kills an animal sure we cook it but would you cook and eat something that died from say aids? I sure the fugg wouldnt

LonewolfNopack

The woods
To what 0? Are you kidding me? We don't want this shit in our herd, and as far as numbers go I still think that count is wayyyy off

That is not what the expert says, but I agree with you. Read my past posts, I was being 100% sarcastic. The EHD outbreak is just going to lower a deer population that is as low as it has been in a long while. EHD is a natural thing and a deer population managed properly will recover. Note, managed properly.

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
Appears to be. Isn't a solid answer and we haven't had it round enough to truely find out, if it kills an animal sure we cook it but would you cook and eat something that died from say aids? I sure the fugg wouldnt

That is the point that i was trying to make...
I am hoping we have some biologist online that will help answer this.. I know im not eating it. I know southern counties are more suceptible to it, but im not eating it. I'll donate it

Last edited:
ohio
Tht is the point tha ti was tryign to make...
I am hoping we have some biologist online that will help answer this.. I know im not eating it. I know southern counties are more suceptible to it, but im not eating it. I'll donate it

Agreed, we all donate our ehd deer to our prisons, cut tax dollars at the same time and if it kills some sob on death row so be it,

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
I've only been hunting deer for 5-6 years, and have only been on these forums for a few years....hasn't ever really been a lot of talk about EHD that I can remember, so it isn't a topic that I've spent any time researching...might be a dumb question but if fenced in deer have EHD how would it even transmit to any other deer population? Are there any theories on how it gets transmitted?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
You will never put a piece of EHD meat in your mouth...unless of course you make it a habit to go out and find rotting corpse' laying around water and deciding that looks tasty... Good grief, if you shoot a deer that is on it's feet and kill it dead, it was perfectly healthy before you shot it! Eat it!

The "localized" (this is sarcasm) EHD outbreak of 2007 is what started the most notable portion of the herd decline in my area. It would take a long time to recover from that even if the DOW cut back on the continuing over-harvest.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
That's true. From my understanding, the deer die very quickly once contacting the disease. So unless you catch that deer in the small window between contacting and death, the chance of you shooting an infected deer is slim. It is not something spread from captive deer, that is just where these deer infected happened to be found. I have not found any dead mature deer yet this summer in the woods (just yote bait fawns) but then again I have seen very few live deer either, and you have got to have live deer before you have dead deer.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I've only been hunting deer for 5-6 years, and have only been on these forums for a few years....hasn't ever really been a lot of talk about EHD that I can remember, so it isn't a topic that I've spent any time researching...might be a dumb question but if fenced in deer have EHD how would it even transmit to any other deer population? Are there any theories on how it gets transmitted?

Here some good info on EHD.
http://myflda.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/EHD-BT-Presentation1.pdf

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
You will never put a piece of EHD meat in your mouth...unless of course you make it a habit to go out and find rotting corpse' laying around water and deciding that looks tasty... Good grief, if you shoot a deer that is on it's feet and kill it dead, it was perfectly healthy before you shot it! Eat it!

The "localized" (this is sarcasm) EHD outbreak of 2007 is what started the most notable portion of the herd decline in my area. It would take a long time to recover from that even if the DOW cut back on the continuing over-harvest.

Well said Brock.