Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mature Bucks: Patterns, Core Areas, Home Ranges

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Milo and I were talking via text the other night and he suggested I check out a bit of information contained in a thread elsewhere on the web that centered on mature bucks, their patterns, core areas, home ranges, and other intricacies. In the thread was a link to a thesis done by Gabriel Karns while he was a graduate student at North Carolina State. I have not read the thesis in its entirety as it is well over 100 pages, but I have skimmed over a good bit of it. There is some fascinating information contained within his report that could give a man an edge in the fall woods. If you would like to check out his thesis, here is a link to his research: http://www4.ncsu.edu/~csdepern/documents/GabeKarns2008.pdf

I thought it would be a good idea to begin our own discussion on mature bucks and the things they have taught us about their patterns, insides and outs over the years. The first thing that comes to my mind is the notion of a “loop” that I have noticed on our farm over the past six years. Both Deuce and Moe followed a similar loop around our farm and the neighboring tracts during their tenure. It wasn’t until I started mapping our places where I had captured pictures did I realize this and now it is a pattern that Captain Jack seems to follow in some regards. What all three have shown me is I have been hunting the wrong transition areas on our farm, or at least not close enough to where I needed to be.

Feel free to toss out whatever you have on patterns, tendencies, etc. when it comes to mature bucks. I’ll take some more time and expand on my “loop” observation when I get the chance…

Buckmaster

Portage
I’ll take some more time and expand on my “loop” observation when I get the chance…

I'd be interested in seeing your topo where you were hunting vs. the loop vs. your adjusted plan. Don't publish it all at once (make it a 3 part series) so I can formalize my own thoughts and ideals first. That way each person can see how right or wrong they are.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'd be interested in seeing your topo where you were hunting vs. the loop vs. your adjusted plan. Don't publish it all at once (make it a 3 part series) so I can formalize my own thoughts and ideals first. That way each person can see how right or wrong they are.

I can do that. It will have to wait until Friday though. I have Terrain Navigator Pro on my laptop, but don't have it with me and will be on the road tomorrow...

Last edited:

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I think it varies greatly depending on the type of area you hunt. I'd say the smaller woods/tract agriculture centered bucks in my area seem to be more tolerant of human intrusion than the southern ones, mainly due to proximity of humans in most instances. I somewhat understand the capabilities of a whitetails nose and I'd say a good majority of them smell humans damn near everyday around here. I think the larger, more dominant bucks tend to figure out the difference between normal and not normal alot quicker.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I don't think mature bucks have bedding "areas". I feel they have bedding "spots". And those spots will almost always be 3-4 bounds for safety...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I would agree with 3-4 bounds to safety. I think I would add they seem to have multiple options for safe areas it seems.

I will need to skim the article as well. I have been trying to figure out "the loop" on a couple properties as well. Just when you think you are figuring it out around here, the season is over and next year the crops change which throws a curve into figuring it out.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Some of my observations:

- They are quieter than their younger brethren. No blowing out, and they amaze me the "grub" they get through with minimal noise.

- Trails are generally in a thicker area parallel to the main trail.

- The rut makes them dumb as that drive for procreation trumps all. Until they have a doe and then they are cunning. Locked down in stuff we and other bucks have difficulty with.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Mature bucks are very deliberate in their movements, they take a lot more time to get somewhere than a younger buck.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I wish I could say I knew a thing or two about mature bucks, but the truth is that I don't. I've gotten lucky a time or two, but I've never truly patterned one. Well, I know things that I've read about mature bucks... but I don't really have any first-hand experience-related knowledge that I can think of. I'll be watching this thread closely...

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I think it varies greatly depending on the type of area you hunt. I'd say the smaller woods/tract agriculture centered bucks in my area seem to be more tolerant of human intrusion than the southern ones, mainly due to proximity of humans in most instances. I somewhat understand the capabilities of a whitetails nose and I'd say a good majority of them smell humans damn near everyday around here. I think the larger, more dominant bucks tend to figure out the difference between normal and not normal alot quicker.

Very well put Red!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
From my experiences mature bucks are not always the same as far as personalities. Some are rogue or nomadic warriors covering larger areas throwing caution to the wind taking more chances to breed and at the other end of the spectrum you have some that are timid and secretive and place survival at the top of their list of priorities. We had the privilage and challenge to hunt one secretive buck once, a buck we named, "the shed buck" and never laid eyes on or caught him on cam. Ron found one of his sheds from him about 5 years ago and a neighbor found the other side. Rons side scored 90-92 inches and the other side scored 81 inches I believe. The sheds were clean of tree bark and had absolutely NO rubbing wear anywhere. We and some buddies believe he might have been so secretive he didn't participate in any breeding either but that is strickly our opinions. I also believe more die of natural causes,old age or auto accidents than we think.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I wish I could say I knew a thing or two about mature bucks, but the truth is that I don't. I've gotten lucky a time or two, but I've never truly patterned one. Well, I know things that I've read about mature bucks... but I don't really have any first-hand experience-related knowledge that I can think of. I'll be watching this thread closely...
I should also preface the fact that I don’t “know” anything about mature bucks, at least killing them. I’ve been very fortunate to encounter several over the years and I’ve even gotten to “know” a handful of them. I’ve been taught a few things that I am yet to apply in the field to the point it results in the successful harvest of a mature buck. I killed two 6.5 year old bucks and both were essentially luck. The other deer I have gotten to know, whipped my ass and one lost a fight with a minivan. I’ll share the stuff I’ve observed, but I’m not about to educate anyone in this crowd!

Mature bucks are very deliberate in their movements, they take a lot more time to get somewhere than a younger buck.

This brings me to something I realize is dictated as much by pressure, terrain, food sources, herd dynamics and a handful of other variables, but when we discuss movement, what is realistic when it comes to setting up on a mature buck? Deer in my area don’t tend to cover a lot of ground until they have to, or are made to. Can I expect him to move 100 yards in daylight, or 500 yards? I really feel this has been the one area I have struggled with the most with mature bucks and that is expecting them to move and cover ground like deer I see on TV. I have photographic evidence (below) of two bucks that I was TOO cautious on and it may have cost me both deer. I was in the woods the same night as Deuce on October 28 and sat 40 yards from where this picture was taken an hour after I left my stand. I believe he was bedding in the same area where Moe was last season…

When it came to hunting Moe, I had cut off 300 yards of the loop that I felt Deuce was running and from what Moe showed me, he liked the same terrain, but chose to use a different finger ridge as his access to our bottom. Last year on October 2nd, I just made a complete mistake on stand selection and it cost me.

ohio
From my experiences mature bucks are not always the same as far as personalities. Some are rogue or nomadic warriors covering larger areas throwing caution to the wind taking more chances to breed and at the other end of the spectrum you have some that are timid and secretive and place survival at the top of their list of priorities. We had the privilage and challenge to hunt one secretive buck once, a buck we named, "the shed buck" and never laid eyes on or caught him on cam. Ron found one of his sheds from him about 5 years ago and a neighbor found the other side. Rons side scored 90-92 inches and the other side scored 81 inches I believe. The sheds were clean of tree bark and had absolutely NO rubbing wear anywhere. We and some buddies believe he might have been so secretive he didn't participate in any breeding either but that is strickly our opinions. I also believe more die of natural causes,old age or auto accidents than we think.

Couldn't agree more! I've seen big bucks that I consider metro, very pretty deer, and what I consider bruisers that will bang heads with a statue if it doesn't show respect

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
the bedding spops also seem to be dependant on wind direction and time of the year. They seem to prfer to bed with the wind to their backs so they can smell whats behind them, with an open area in front of them so they can see whats in front of them. As the rut approaches these spots will be down wind of doe bedding areas.

They also seem to like to feed after they leave their beds and will feed again before they lay down.

If you are following a large buck track you can tell how big its rack is by what obstacles they tend to avoid. its tough to get a large rack through the thick stuff or between two trees that are close together, they will go around.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
This is a very interesting thread! Patterned a mature and dominate buck is probably next to impossible!Those of those that have said that they have, did so with some luck with them. Age is in my opinion the best definition of a dominant buck. Body size is 2nd.I don't think that I have ever successfully patterned a dominant buck, although I have managed to harvest several. Time in the tree was my reason for being successful.I don't know all the answers,but I have learned from.a lot of mistakes. I will say this"if it wasn't for the Rut, we wouldn't be killing very many Dominant Bucks"!IMO.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
There is a very small window during the first week of season your odds are better to pattern one and providing you have the ability to leave large grainfields unharvested for late season draws you have another chance to pattern one. The need to feed seems to be the common denominator. Early season with no pressure because of the closed season leading up to season the mature bucks are eating to bulk up before the rigors of the rut. Then in the late season they're worn down eating to survive the harches of weather conditions with a worn out body and minimal food supply. The rut is the toughest time to kill a particular mature buck IMO because they're on no particular pattern and are just on there feet more trying to breed as many does they can. That's where the luck comes into play. Is that particular buck on your hunting property or on someone elses?

Ron is correct, when you think you have one figured out you realize you don't.lol

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Here is an example of what Iam trying TOO say.you have done your home work, scouting,trail cams,strategic tree stand sets for.different wind directions. Out of nowhere a giant, with his nose to the ground is in easy bow range. You have no pics of this deer. No idea that this mature buck even existed. This is what i was talking about. It happens every year! Thank GOD for the Rut! Terry Drury said it best" I would rather be Lucky than Good"!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Here is an example of what Iam trying TOO say.you have done your home work, scouting,trail cams,strategic tree stand sets for.different wind directions. Out of nowhere a giant, with his nose to the ground is in easy bow range. You have no pics of this deer. No idea that this mature buck even existed. This is what i was talking about. It happens every year! Thank GOD for the Rut! Terry Drury said it best" I would rather be Lucky than Good"!

Amen Bro! Very point I was eluding to when I said, is that particular patterned target buck on your property or someone elses!

No truer statement as the last one!haha

Lundy

I feel as if I know about half as much as I should after hunting deer in Ohio and surrounding states for 43 years, and I’m not real sure that I know half as much as I think I know.