Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

There goes the neighborhood (crops)

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The beans are starting to take the turn around here, but the corn on the ridge at the farm is still a month from drying out, if not more. It's always the last to be picked, so I fully expect to battle it through the rut. But in all honesty, I hope it stays up until after both guns seasons. The deer could use a place to hide from the locals...

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
There are going to be big differences in yield around the state and even on individual farms. Based on soil types, planting dates and spotty rains.

My own crops probably 80% of the corn is real good. Beans look good but they came up thin, won't know til harvest if the plants that are there will make up for the missing but it looks like they could. In July I was sure I'd have a crop insurance claim but now I'm sure I won't unless we get some odd early frost or horrible hail storm.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
i talked to a farmer last night he said he should be done picking by the first or second week in october if everything keeps going the way it is. the corn and beans are turning quick around here and the trees are starting to turn also.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
i talked to a farmer last night he said he should be done picking by the first or second week in october if everything keeps going the way it is. the corn and beans are turning quick around here and the trees are starting to turn also.

Same here in Crawford County. Beans are turning yellow and dropping leaves and corn stalks are starting to turn brown. Noticed the trees turning over the weekend as well. Won't be long now.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The farmer I hunt on planted much later than most and his beans are still nice and green as well as his corn. He checked out his corn this week and said his corn looks pretty good considering the drought we've had, said he'll prolly pick it around Thanksgiving.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Our busy time for harvest will be over by first week in November provided it doesnt get so sloppy they cant get in the fields. I think 120 bpa will be the average for corn around here. We here well above and well below that from everybody so who knows. Beans will be better than most thought a month ago