Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

There goes the neighborhood (crops)

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345941267.766481.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
That corn is being chopped bur there are other fields already being shelled. And the beans are starting to turn yellow. All you guys hunting big Ag areas you better find oaks and hang a stand. If you can find a white oak that is producing you might as well start saving for a taxidermy bill.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Awesome! My property on 65 is loaded with oaks and hickory! I have one other property I might have a bit of luck on as well. Then again, I know a guy that doesn't plan on taking his beans off until February too. lol

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Yeah corn is nowhere near close. That has to be used for silage. And it must be for a BIG operation by the looks of it. I bet corn comes off around Central Ohio about Halloween. Bit early this year for sure.

Huckleberry Finn

To be honest, the farms up here look great. They will make a killing this year with prices so high. The guys that planted the same week they always do and caught showers when they needed are doing just fine. The beans in one field I hunt behind are waist high and the corn is full...

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
Yeah corn is nowhere near close. That has to be used for silage. And it must be for a BIG operation by the looks of it. I bet corn comes off around Central Ohio about Halloween. Bit early this year for sure.

Eighty head of Holsteins. And they are starting to shell corn in the neighborhood as well. One big farmer in the area has a 100,000 bushel contract for next month so he has to get started. Farmer I help is thinking after labor day starting beans so I wouldn't be surprised if there is some corn off by bow opener. Rut time I doubt there is any corn at all... That's good

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I heard on the radio earlier this week that farmers in Indiana are taking their corn out of fear of them getting to dry and falling over. The corn is easier to pick when standing than if it is laying on the ground.

The corn beside my house is looking kinda sorry. Tall stalks but most stalks only have one ear on them and they aren't very big.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
We have one field eaten tongue ground by deer already. Beans that is. Have another 20acres that look like we will get a good yield. Corn on other properties is looking rough. Not falling over but the ears are tiny.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Eighty head of Holsteins. And they are starting to shell corn in the neighborhood as well. One big farmer in the area has a 100,000 bushel contract for next month so he has to get started. Farmer I help is thinking after labor day starting beans so I wouldn't be surprised if there is some corn off by bow opener. Rut time I doubt there is any corn at all... That's good

That is some expense paying for the drying. But with the prices he is probably contracted for...really doesn't matter too much to him. lol After thinking about it we still have all of September to dry. I can see some early October corn harvesting going on for us.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Is that field at 68 and 334? I drive by it every day and thougt it seemed a lttle early to take that much off.

Nope, Long ways from there. But dude. That's literally 2 miles from my house. I know the field youre talking abouf though. Lol.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That is some expense paying for the drying. But with the prices he is probably contracted for...really doesn't matter too much to him. lol After thinking about it we still have all of September to dry. I can see some early October corn harvesting going on for us.

Exactly what I was thinking. I can't believe they're shelling this early...

They're chopping sileage all around my area right now, but they're pretty much right on schedule with that... maybe a week or two early, at most. Haven't seen anyone shelling corn yet.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
I hope down here in S.E. Ohio the Ag. fields get harvested early. Our crops weren't harvested until gun season was over, last year. Standing corn is a Bitch, if you know what I mean! Lol. Fingers crossed...

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I saw corn in Bowling Green/Pburg that is totally brown. Some beans look poor. Williams co corn looks pretty good. Nice sized ears and still green. Both areas have killer white acorn crop.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
A big corn farmer really close to me had an insurance agent come and assess his corn yield this harvest and he's not very happy. He is expecting only 66 bushels per acre!!! He planted early this year and was hoping for the usual 200 to 250 per acre.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana

Found out today that field made 70 bpa and moisture was at 22%... Not good