Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Just got back from the range......

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
You know I love this place. Everything about the area I live in is great. The people are friendly, there are lots of places to hunt, my job is great, and best of all the state has a free 300 yard range about 30 minutes from my house.

OK, so here's the deal. Back in July Lundy stated the following:

How long of a shot do you anticipate and want to be prepared to take?

Based upon the data you provided for the bullet and powder charge and your actual real world ballistics your velocity is somewhere around 1550 FPS.

Your data and current load and setup
1.8 high - 50 yd
0.0 - 100 yd
7.25 low - 150 yd
21 low - 200 yd

Man he was DEAD ON!!!! Today I shot my cheap ass CVA Apollo with a 1:32 twist at 200 yards. The first cold, non fowled barrel barely missed the outer paper, but was DEAD on in latitude. The next shot I really concentrated on the basic fundamentals of marksmanship (natural point of aim, breath control, steady trigger pull, and total focus on the cross hairs). The second shot was on the MONEY! The third was off to the right, but I didn't focus as much as I should have. The fourth and final shot was close enough for government work (actually considering the kill zone size of an elk the first and third were too).

20 inches of drop is just about right. However, if I do take a shot that far I'm going to have to make sure I'm calm, focused, and have a VERY steady rest. 200 yards is DEFINITELY possible with this gun.

Lundy

Glad to see you were able to confirm some real world shooting results versus estimated.

Good luck , shoot a big one!

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Nice shooting TF! Glad to know I'm not the only one shooting a "POS" CVA!!! :smiley_clap:

Dude, I bought mine in 1995 at swappers day in Johnstown. I paid the guy $50 and a POS broken AK-22 (22 that looks like an AK). A month after I bought it I found out about the barrel recall. I contacted CVA and they sent me a replacement barrel for free! The gun doesn't shoot sabots well, but it'll sling the CVA power belts pretty darn good.