Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Best Reloading Book for Beginners

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
OK guys, I'm getting very interested in taking up reloading as a hobby. I've read a lot online, watched by brother in-law reload, and have began looking at some presses.

I would like to get as much knowledge on the subject as possible before I dive in. Anyone have a good book on the topic they recommend?

I know most of the press kits come with a book, but I would like to find something that tells you some common stuff to watch out for, do's and don'ts, and all that good stuff.

Thanks!

FYI - in case it makes a difference, I will probably just be starting out with pistol reloading in 9mm and 45 for awhile.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Become a member at thefiringline.com

Good guys that are always looking to help in the reloading sections.

Speer reloading manual #14
Hodgon manual

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I'm looking to start off with something mid range price wise to get started. I like the idea of a progressive press, but I really want to take my time and not make any mistakes, so I think a single stage would be good for me to start on.

For the single stages I've been looking at the Hornady Lock 'N Load and the RCBS Rock Crusher, but get pretty good reviews and seem durable.

I have also been looking at the Lee Classic Turret Press. Although Lee gets some crappy reviews on some of their stuff, this press gets a lot of great review. If I went this route, I would probably just buy the press, and then buy the other accessories (scale, powder measure, etc.) in another brand. Another plus of the turret press, is once you get rolling with it, there are guys online doing 500 rounds an hour. You can also lock the turret and use it as a single stage, which would be great for starting out.

I see myself starting out on one of these single stages or turret presses until I get the hang of everything and get good with it. Once I figure out that reloading is something I truly enjoy and want to stick with, I will probably move up to a little better, progressive press.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I really like the format of Speer's manuals, especially for beginners.

Since manuals are usually printed by bullet or powder manufacturers they usually only list their bullets/powders so you usually end up with several. Lee has a pretty good manual that has many different bullet and powder makes.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'm looking to start off with something mid range price wise to get started. I like the idea of a progressive press, but I really want to take my time and not make any mistakes, so I think a single stage would be good for me to start on.

For the single stages I've been looking at the Hornady Lock 'N Load and the RCBS Rock Crusher, but get pretty good reviews and seem durable.

I have also been looking at the Lee Classic Turret Press. Although Lee gets some crappy reviews on some of their stuff, this press gets a lot of great review. If I went this route, I would probably just buy the press, and then buy the other accessories (scale, powder measure, etc.) in another brand. Another plus of the turret press, is once you get rolling with it, there are guys online doing 500 rounds an hour. You can also lock the turret and use it as a single stage, which would be great for starting out.

I see myself starting out on one of these single stages or turret presses until I get the hang of everything and get good with it. Once I figure out that reloading is something I truly enjoy and want to stick with, I will probably move up to a little better, progressive press.

I would say all those crappy reviews are from guys who have never used the Lee turret press. The regular Lee turret press is just fine and will load anything up to the largest magnum. I have been using a Lee turret press for over 20 yrs.
I have 2 Dillon 550B's setup one each in the large and small primer feeds, a Dillon 650, and a Dillon 1050. The 650 & 1050 both have the case collators on them. All three Dillons are sweet michines but costly to convert to another caliber. I have bought all 3 Dillons out of estates so have little invested.
All that being said when I want to load for a new gun I setup the Lee turret press and can be loading about as fast as I explain it here. I have like 12 differant Lee turret heads setup with dies so all I need to do is change the shellholder and adjust the powder measure. Then if I want a large productionrun I setup a Dillon press and spend maybe a hour before the 1st round is loaded.
Sorry if I stepped on anyones toes. But facts are facts
Frank

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Good stuff MK, that is what turned me on to the Lee Turret press. What I like about the 4 hole "classic turret", is the factory crimp die. I also like the ability to buy the extra turrets and have them already setup with different calibers, to make switching over easier.

Here is the kit I'm looking at. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/78...dex-deluxe-kit?cm_cat=Cart&cm_pla=ProductDesc

I will probably swap out the scale with a digital scale. I've been pricing all the components today and looking into some reloading books. Probably research and read for a few months and then pull the trigger on a press when Winter comes around.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Good stuff MK, that is what turned me on to the Lee Turret press. What I like about the 4 hole "classic turret", is the factory crimp die. I also like the ability to buy the extra turrets and have them already setup with different calibers, to make switching over easier.

Here is the kit I'm looking at. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/78...dex-deluxe-kit?cm_cat=Cart&cm_pla=ProductDesc

I will probably swap out the scale with a digital scale. I've been pricing all the components today and looking into some reloading books. Probably research and read for a few months and then pull the trigger on a press when Winter comes around.

I forgot to mention to get the 4 hole turret press over the 3 hole it indexs better. Contact fmreloading.com in Ohio probaly better prices.
I best all around reloading manual is probaly a Lee also as they use all the load data from all the powder mfg. and list it the last to the slowest. The problem with the bullet Mfg. reloading manuals is it may not have the bullet in it that you want.
Frank
Frank

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Drake, I have a couple you can use. I have most everything I need to reload but have not found the time to make it happen. I do not foresee myself needing the books in the near future. I think I have 2 or 3 different books. I will warn you, they can be pretty dry reading material. I was in your shoes when I bought them and got a ton of recommendations so I would guess these books are "entry level" books.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Did you get your reloading books at the Lima gunshow. If so you probaly bought them from me.
Frank

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Possible but not probably. I think one came from Bass Pro. Another I ordered online. Need to look to see how many I have. I did buy some 223 dies at that show.