Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What do you have left to do before bow opens?

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
shoot broadheads get slips signed and hang one more stand, as of right now it looks like im going to kentucky next weekend so i gotta make sure ive got my stuff together by this weekend or mid week anyways.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I rebuilt a ladder stand yesterday.Need to hang it and trim some brush. Also need to trim the shooting lanes from last year. Running late this year due to the hot weather. Aloa need to move a ladder stand in the woods.
Frank

Schu72

Streetsboro
Mostly in a holding pattern. I have a few stands up that will be my primary spots, but there aren't many deer on my properties yet. I usually wait until mid October and start adjusting to the deer. Keep shooitng at different distances. Did find a great deal on some vertigo grey timberfleece, so I can cross clothing off the list.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Im going to just wing it this year. Just need to set up a couple ground blinds for the kids to hunt from and the rest will fall into place. Probably head to North central Ohio and hunt the first part of November and shoot a deer or 2, no need to get worked up. Taking the kids hunting is my main concern.

I will hang a few stands in the usual local areas, but every year it seems nothing good starts happening in the deer woods until late October. There is plenty of time to make things happen.

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Get my permission slip signed,practice my shooting, lock up my 5 treestands that are up and wash and smoke up my clothes then put them back into totes and I'm good!

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I got the new ladder stand hung for the most part today. Got all the brush cut but to remove it tommorrow. I ran out of energy and ice tea.
Damn that hedge apple is tough and sticky.
Frank

Last edited:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Im going to just wing it this year. Just need to set up a couple ground blinds for the kids to hunt from and the rest will fall into place. Probably head to North central Ohio and hunt the first part of November and shoot a deer or 2, no need to get worked up. Taking the kids hunting is my main concern.

I will hang a few stands in the usual local areas, but every year it seems nothing good starts happening in the deer woods until late October. There is plenty of time to make things happen.

I too really enjoy taking the grandkids hunting. I got both of my grandsons their 1st deer. But they are 14 & 16 now and both play football. The 12 yr granddaughter keeps telling me she's not the "woodys type". But got her shooting smallbore down a t the gunclub and she outshoots all the boys her age. There might be hope yet.
Frank

ohio
I too really enjoy taking the grandkids hunting. I got both of my grandsons their 1st deer. But they are 14 & 16 now and both play football. The 12 yr granddaughter keeps telling me she's not the "woodys type". But got her shooting smallbore down a t the gunclub and she outshoots all the boys her age. There might be hope yet.
Frank

:thumbup: my daughter now 17 has never hunted but she always wants to gut the deer

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I have to get dressed

That's a good position to be in!

I'm a bit behind this year. I need to still get my slips signed to be official even though I've still got permission on my local spots. Need to get in some more shooting yet too. Other than that everything else is ready to go.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
It will become part of your hunting routine. Somehow I just don't feel right anymore if I'm in the woods without the faint (and sometimes not so faint) smell of woodsmoke lingering. :) In fact, everytime my son smells wood smoke he thinks someone is using a SS.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Decided I'm going to purchase a scent smoker....never thought I'd be typing that.:smiley_coolpeace:

You won't regret it, Schu. I put it off for several years, too... and now that I use a SS, I can't imagine hunting without it.

It will become part of your hunting routine. Somehow I just don't feel right anymore if I'm in the woods without the faint (and sometimes not so faint) smell of woodsmoke lingering. :) In fact, everytime my son smells wood smoke he thinks someone is using a SS.

Yep. :smiley_clap:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Decided I'm going to purchase a scent smoker....never thought I'd be typing that.:smiley_coolpeace:

Holy shitzky!!! What is the world coming to?!? :smiley_clap:

If all goes well, I will be done with in the field stuff this weekend leaving me with shooting and gear prep. With my hands covered 80-90% in poison ivy, I'm not so sure how long I'll be able to work, but we'll give it a go...

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Holy shitzky!!! What is the world coming to?!? :smiley_clap:

If all goes well, I will be done with in the field stuff this weekend leaving me with shooting and gear prep. With my hands covered 80-90% in poison ivy, I'm not so sure how long I'll be able to work, but we'll give it a go...

Seriously Jesse, JB told me about Zanfel and it's the cats meow for kicking PI's ass! It's expensive but well worth the money!

Congrats on being nearly done with hanging sets.

Schu72

Streetsboro
Seriously Jesse, JB told me about Zanfel and it's the cats meow for kicking PI's ass! It's expensive but well worth the money!

Congrats on being nearly done with hanging sets.

They also have it in generic for about half the price. I also am a big fan of treating the symptoms of the rash with Benedryl gel, I thnk its much more effective than the cortisone ointments.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm pretty miserable to say the least. It's gonna be a LONG day tomorrow. I even have it on my palms...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345823915.208186.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345823933.620366.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345823981.415237.jpg