Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer decoys

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Does anyone used deer decoys and do the work for you?
Couple years ago I used a Montana doe fold up doe decoy. A doe walked up from behind it and I guess never seen it until she was beside it. And when she was beside it at about 10 ft and seen it she almost jumped out of her skin. She jumped sideways and just stared at it.
It was so funny and I was so laughing inside so hard I missed a good shot at about 10 yrds. I missed what would have been my 1st bow kill but the memory of that sight of her is worth more than the harvest. She just milled around it for 10 minutes or so then just left but keep looking back at it.
The Montana deer decoys (their turkey decoys do to) have alot of blue color on them which I always thought as odd. But I recently read a report that deer see alot of the blue color spectum. So I guess the blue color is used to attract their attention.
Any thoughts?
Frank

Last edited:

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Well Frank, I myself haven't yet. I do have a big buck decoy,and plan on using it a lot this year. From what I hear,its best used by placing it facing you. I will probably put it out to about 20-30 yards. I will use a buck bomb as a scent attractant. Hope it works.

ohio
I have used them a few times, had a few fawns try to play and nurse from one, and had a few smaller bucks square up with it but no monsters and no does

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have a Carry-Lite Bucky Jr. and use it on a few occasions every fall. I've never killed anything over it, or even had a mature buck interact with it. However I still enjoy using them and with the new farm I picked up this summer, it may get used more than it has in the past. The ground blind I set this week will make a great spot for one and seeing my cameras tell the story of 3:1 buck to doe ratio tells me rattling and decoying may be far more effective there than it ever has on our farm.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Decoys have cost me more shots at big bucks than getting winded......just saying.

From my experience they work great for young bucks and does, but not for anything with more than 3 years of age. But that's just me, I've seen them work good on some TV shows.

Schu72

Streetsboro
Was going to try one last year....buddy had loaned me one, but ended up shooting a buck before I ever got to use it.

Also, I had one (not sure how big) tear the hell out of my 3-d buck target in the back yard. Broke the front legs, knocked the antler off and tipped it over. The ground was all pawed up, couldn't believe it.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Was going to try one last year....buddy had loaned me one, but ended up shooting a buck before I ever got to use it.

Also, I had one (not sure how big) tear the hell out of my 3-d buck target in the back yard. Broke the front legs, knocked the antler off and tipped it over. The ground was all pawed up, couldn't believe it.

I also had my McKinsey doe 3D target broken up into the 3 pieces 3 different times the same week during the rut about 3 years ago. I wish I had a cam over it but what cams I had were out on my hunting areas. This was in the woods not 25 yards behind the house and several nice rubs popped up during the same week.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Shot this buck using one a few years ago. It was a carry lite decoy.... this is a still shot from the video as he came in all bristled up and pissed off! Def a fun little hunt

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have carried one in and tried it a few times. Never had a deer come into it though. At the time, this area was very weed covered. Visibility may have been the issue. I have got to admit, that is an awesome still picture from your video Rutin!

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I think dominant bucks will always come to a decoy, not because they want to but because they have to

From my experience yes they will come just close enough to see the decoy, then stand there motionless for 10 minutes waiting on the decoy to make a move. When it doesn't, they figure out it's not real and go the other direction with their tail in the air. I've tried pinning some toilet paper on the tail end of the decoy also, with little success. I have had younger bucks come right up to it and check it out, just nothing worth shooting.

ohio
From my experience yes they will come just close enough to see the decoy, then stand there motionless for 10 minutes waiting on the decoy to make a move. When it doesn't, they figure out it's not real and go the other direction with their tail in the air. I've tried pinning some toilet paper on the tail end of the decoy also, with little success. I have had younger bucks come right up to it and check it out, just nothing worth shooting.

Yeah I actually made a cloth tail for mine, it blows around pretty good, neighbors got a big kick out of.me testing the tail out over and over again, like I was investigating its ass with an air hose lol