Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deal or No Deal?

Huckleberry Finn

Nearly bought a new H&R single shot, camo synthetic, heavy barrel .22-250 (they also had a .308) with a scope rail for $129.....

I'm thinking I should have bought it, put on a $70 scope and had a 150 yard groundhog rig fitting for the back of the truck.

Was this a deal or not a deal? I've been kicking myself. Had they had a .223 or if it had been wood stocked, it would have gotten a ride home for sure...

(They also had Stoeger 2000's on sale for $350)

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Never priced them. THinking off top of my head, you don't find many guns in this price range. Marlin 60 (or similar 22's maybe), Mosin Nagant, pellet guns. . . can't buy a lot of gun for $130. Even used there is not a lot of selection in this range. Bigger selection, but not a ton. If you needed one and were working in a budget, sounds like a pretty good buy. You wouldn't get hurt too bad. What's the worst case scenario? You don't like it and dump it for $100?

Its a lot of rifle for the money. I had one of the varmint model .223 H&R's in high school . It was surprisingly very accurate but it is one heavy rifle. I found that the bull barrel models do not shoulder all that well. (for me anyway.) The regular barrel H&R is about the thickness of a moderate bull barrel buy any other manufacturer. So I would buy that one if I got another H&R.
Another thing is that now that Remington bought Marlin and H&R their quility control has gone downhill. So if your going to purchase a new H&R give it a good look over. Be on the look out for thinks like...
off set iron sights.
stocks that do not mate well with the reciever.
stocks that are not finished.
tooling marks inside the barrel.
tooling marks inside the reciever.

Last edited: