Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Funny 2011 deer story

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I invited my brother down from NW Ohio to deer hunt couple days. He and my nephew came down on Saturday and we rehung a tree stand on my neighbors property.
I am a all day deer hunter and my brother and nephew are basicly short drive deer hunters from NW Ohio that is a prime farm land and very few small woods left.
If you remember it rained non-stop on Monday & Tuesday and they had to leave rather early Wednesday. I told them I am hunting all day and not going home during the day but do what you guys want to do.
I had 2 ground blinds setup plus a old play swing set that has a enclosed hut about 6 ft high. I put my brother in the swing set about 1/4 mile off the road, my nephew in the other ground blind about 1/8 mile from the road. And I setup in the ground blind 1/2 mile from the road.
The brother and I took along small propane heaters and lunch and the nephew being about 42 is still tough he just dressed warm. I have to give them credit as they both hunted all day till sunset both days. But boys was it still miserable even though we all stayed dry.
I seen about 9 deer but nothing in range for the pistol. The nephew up front seen about 16 and my brother about 10 but none in range. On Tuesday I had 28 turkeys come out and walk within 15 ft of my stand and they walked past my brother and nephew. They had never seen anything like that before.
The funny part. My nephew went home Tuesday night and my brother spent the night. On Wednesday I was tired and sore from 24 hrs of setting in the rain so decided to take the day off to see my brother off.
I got up early and made coffee. About 7:30AM I looked out my front window and there a big mature doe in the front yard. Now understand I live 700 ft off the road and surounded by trees so have a safe shooting situation. I loaded up the Rem 1000 with scope and snuck out the garage backdoor and went around to edge of the garage. The doe is about 75 yds away and broadside. I dropped it in it's tracks. Before anyone gets their pannies in a bundle it's OK with the State as I have asked our local Warden.
I go in and wake my brother up and asked him when he was going to get up and take care of his damn deer laying in front of his bedroom window. Half asleep he replys what deer. The one in front of your window. He gets up and says were did that come from? I told him the story as I told it here. He slept through the whole ordeal and the deer laid about 50 ft from his window. But he can't hear very well anyway.
I checked it in over the internet, he dressed it out and went home. He canned the whole deer that evening.
He and I will never forget this experience. Life is good.
Frank

Last edited: