Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mowing before spraying???

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I think it is a crap shoot like any other planting. We did some last year in mid July and some in mid August. Both turned out pretty good. Then again it was mild all winter and we probably got a longer growing season than normal.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Looking at the calendar now I guess we have a little more time than I thought. Turnips would probably be okay planted on the 3rd... but maybe won't yield as much leaf tonnage and earlier planted turnips. Either way, planting something is certainly better than nothing.

I'm going to spray the buhjesus out of the plots tomorrow and wait two weeks (instead of one) to go back and disk and plant. I found an ad in Ohio Outdoor News for a place down in Apple Creek that rents small food plotting equipment. I think I'm going to stop in on the way tomorrow and ask what it would cost to rent there little cultipacker for a day. Looks like a nice one in the ad picture.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Some guys say mid October for the first frost which would stunt or stop growth. Give them 60-90 days of growth for optimum, but like I said, the weather is a crap shoot anyway. What I am thinking this year? The sooner the better. We had mowing 5-7weeks early. We had dry weather early and long. It is mid August and we are seeing the resurgence in lawns like we would in late August to early Sept. They took off like mad last week. Not saying it means anything, but the way the rest of the year has gone, an early frost or temperature drop wouldn't surprise me.

We got terrible tonnage off ours last year. Then we realized we should have put up some seclusion fences. The deer ate them to the ground! Turns out the turnips were still growing well. Pulled some of them out and they were baseball to softball sized!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Some guys say mid October for the first frost which would stunt or stop growth. Give them 60-90 days of growth for optimum, but like I said, the weather is a crap shoot anyway. What I am thinking this year? The sooner the better. We had mowing 5-7weeks early. We had dry weather early and long. It is mid August and we are seeing the resurgence in lawns like we would in late August to early Sept. They took off like mad last week. Not saying it means anything, but the way the rest of the year has gone, an early frost or temperature drop wouldn't surprise me.

We got terrible tonnage off ours last year. Then we realized we should have put up some seclusion fences. The deer ate them to the ground! Turns out the turnips were still growing well. Pulled some of them out and they were baseball to softball sized!

That's exactly what happened to my turnips last season. I just don't think the plots were quite big enough. The deer were eating the leaves as fast as they grew... They didn't even wait for a frost.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yep. Same field this year. Gone. Totally decimated already. I am out of town tomorrow but my buddy took the medium sized tractor (150hp lol) over tonight with 11' offset disk and worked up some of the areas not in ag crops. He is going to spread the food plot seed tomorrow. Then we are going to be forced to drill in something else where they demolished the beans. Over 5acres of beans. . . .gone. To the dirt. Unbelievable. Only thing we can figure is the soil must be amazing. Seems like the only logical explanation as to preference of one field vs the others. Crack soil or something. :smiley_deer: