Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Fall plot

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
There is still time to plant a few late season blends, so I'd say it would be worth the effort if you can get it in at least 30 days before the first frost. And pray for rain...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Glad to see it coming up! I have got nothing. Today was our first rain since i dropped seed. Not cool.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Jesse what would you recommend?

hey man most guys put in rye/grains on labor day. With the mild winters we have been having you can probably get away with putting in some peas and brassicas too, but I would do it this weekend.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'll be planting a mix of oats, rye, peas, clover, and radishes this weekend. I'd say you've still got at least a couple weeks left to plant cereal grains. I planted oats during the second week of Sept last year and they were perfect height going into bow season.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
jb beat me to it, I just thought about it and realized I forgot oats! Those are great to plant late like early sept. They wont grow really tall that way, and stay tender for the deer.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Ok does tsc have all that? How big of an area with a 20lb bag do?

TSC may or may not have it, but they will have some similar blends. Our TSC carries PlotSpike blends and they make a product similar to the Outfitters Blend, and also make a blend of just oats. Because of the bigger seed, 20 pounds of won't do much area. The PlotSpike Forage Oats is a 50 pounds bag and plants 1/2 an acre...