Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Stupid things I've heard on hunting shows

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Ok, with all the hunting shows on TV these days, there sure seems to be a lot of dumb or annoying things and comments that guys say or do in regards to hunting.

For example...guy sitting in a treestand takes a shot at a deer and the arrow hits the deer far back.....the guy looks at the camera and says " I just smoked him"....that statement is way overused.

Another one that I hate is when someone says that a deer is going to "blow up" if he grows another 2 or 3 years...fuggin stupid IMO.

Also, when these guys are hunting in the south or in a warm climate and they make a marginal shot, or even a shot that looked good on film, they decide to back out and wait until morning to look for the deer. Of course they always find the deer right away. There is no way the meat is any good, tell me how that is close to believable.

What else have you guys heard or seen that fits this category?

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I laugh or cringe when I hear or see them say, "I passed him up", when there clearly wasn't a great shot opportunity like it being too thick,too far or the deer moving to fast for a 100% killing shot.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
How about every dumb fuck who has ever shot a deer, regardless of the hit, then says: "I smoked him!!!" Now if it was a 10-ring, I can live with it. But when you gut shoot one, or liver/lung him, I don't want to hear it. Come up with something else. How about actually admitting you made a shitty shot for once?!? There is a small handful of guys out there that will fess up to bad shots and it is very refreshing when it happens...

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Ole JB must have one hell of a long draw length!

"Smoked a booner" come on man!

Another thing that drives me crazy is when you see these guys sitting in the cold and they shoot a deer and then as their nose is running they snort the snot back up on camera! You guys can't edit that out?

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
What irks me is some of the foreshadowing prior to the hunts. "We've been seeing a really nice 10pt in here that's on our hit list along with a non typical 12 pt", when what they really mean is the guide has 800 photo's of these bucks coming to a feeder and let the hunter choose which one he wants to kill

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I agree Jesse and Chad!

Hey, about Chads comment about a buck blowing up in a couple years. Imagine your least favorite hunting celeb standing in a tree ready to draw back on a deer he's been hunting for a few years waiting for it to "Blow Up". His heart is pumping the adrenaline flowing and this stud of a buck reaching that 6 year old status this hunter was waiting for is coming in on a string and stands perfectly broadside looking the other way and just.....

BLOWS THE FUGG UP!!!! Rotflmao

Imagine the expression on their face when looking at the cameraman wanting his take on what just happened! Lol

Hunter: All wideeyed and his pride deflated saying, WTF just happened?
Cameraman: saying nonchalantly, "Man, you weren't shittin' when you said that fuggar was gonna blow up in a few years!" lol Then the cameraman holds out his fist for a tater!

That would be some funny stuff!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
What irks me is some of the foreshadowing prior to the hunts. "We've been seeing a really nice 10pt in here that's on our hit list along with a non typical 12 pt", when what they really mean is the guide has 800 photo's of these bucks coming to a feeder and let the hunter choose which one he wants to kill

Excellent point Red! Prolly happens 75% of the time TOO!

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I was watching a show a few days ago and they were turkey hunting somewhere in Missouri. The guy makes a few calls and a gobbler answers. The camera pans to the right and I shit you not there is a strutting turkey coming at them and there is a big ass white barn and someones yard right in the background.... less than 30 yards away! The guy shoots the turkey and acts like it was a great hunt......it was obvious this bird was not a wild bird either.

twireman

Kingston, OH
I hate when they score the deer on the hoof.....seems like they never see a deer under 140...gimme a break. It seems like it translates to us hunters too. My buddies are always saying shit like " i saw a 150 ten" or "Booner" which is a word I can't stand. I think it all get's blown out of proportion. My FIL has a 8 point that scores 138 and it's a really really nice deer. So when I hear people say "ah I passed a mid 130's 8" i call bullshit right then LMAO. I guess they're just trying to be like Lee and Tiffany and really have no clue how to judge a deer.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I'm with twireman, I hear this happen a lot more in person than in shows, "booner".

I want to slap the shit out of people and say "have you ever even seen a booner up close or held a rack in your hands that was a legitimate booner"?

I was once blind to scores, once I finally laid my eyes on a set of horns at the taxi that made legit B&C, I figured out quick that I had in fact never seen a "booner" before! :smiley_crocodile:

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
The word "unbelievable" in these shows is used way too much....every time somebody shoots a deer it was an "unbelievable hunt"... .....of all the deer I have killed in my life, probably less than 10 of those hunts I would consider unbelievable.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I hate when they score the deer on the hoof.....seems like they never see a deer under 140...gimme a break. It seems like it translates to us hunters too. My buddies are always saying shit like " i saw a 150 ten" or "Booner" which is a word I can't stand. I think it all get's blown out of proportion. My FIL has a 8 point that scores 138 and it's a really really nice deer. So when I hear people say "ah I passed a mid 130's 8" i call bullshit right then LMAO. I guess they're just trying to be like Lee and Tiffany and really have no clue how to judge a deer.

I did.. :smiley_blackeye::smiley_blackeye:

And he's bigger this year. :)

twireman

Kingston, OH
I know Joe. And I think he's a hell of a buck. Plus you had an ulterior motive named Tank!

But trust me my buddies didn't!! LMAO they think a 110 is a 150!! And they would call that buck a Booner LMAO

Last edited: