Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

pistol cartridges for deer gun season?

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Now that I have scratched a few heads. What is everyone's thoughts on hunting deer with rifles in pistol cartridges such as 45/70's, 44, 375, 444? Just asking. My reasoning is ammo is so expensive and the thought of reloading is so much cheaper. Box of 5 sabots are 20.00 or so. I like to shoot, but too expensive anymore.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Now that I have scratched a few heads. What is everyone's thoughts on hunting deer with rifles in pistol cartridges such as 45/70's, 44, 375, 444? Just asking. My reasoning is ammo is so expensive and the thought of reloading is so much cheaper. Box of 5 sabots are 20.00 or so. I like to shoot, but too expensive anymore.

If they follow Indiana's lead .45/70, .375 and .444 won't be considered PCRs.

I do support PCRs being used for deer in Ohio. I would also approve of BPCR single shots being allowed.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm by no means an expert, but ballistically-speaking I don't really see a reason not to allow them. Today's rifled shotgun barrels and sabots are top of the line, and are more than capable of killing deer at 200 yds. The only problem I see is with checking plugs. It's so easy to check plugs in shotgun magazines because they're all pretty much the same. Things could get complicated when Ranger Rick has to tear guns apart to start checking for plugs.

I hunt deer with a 45/70 Contender Pistol
I COULD use hot loads
But I find the low power stuff ( like factory ) kills deer just fine

So I would love to use a 45/70 rifle or even a 44 mag rifle

John

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Hey Iam glad to hear some feed back, in a positive way. My gripe is the cost of shooting my shotgun during deer season. I just like to shoot and practice and have fun with out it costing me my first born.lol.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I'd like it as well..... Been hearing grumblings about it but that's about it.... No firm or reliable info out there so far from what I can see.....

Archertl said:
I'd like to see all straight wall cartrigdes allowed.
Here ya go: .357 Mag., .357 Maximum, 10mm, .40 S&W, .41 Mag., .44 Mag., .44 Spl., 44-40 Win., .45 acp., 454 Casull, 45 Win., 45 Long Colt, Ruger 480, 500 S&W, 50 AE, 460 S&W.

These cartridges meet the criteria of the ODNR, for straight walled cartridges. However, finding some of them with a legal minimum barrel length of 5" could be a challenge.

I hope to see it pass, next year, but I'm not holding my breath. As usual, Ohio is always the last one to get on the wagon with everyone else. Indiana, Michigan, Kentucky, Pennsylvania and West Virginia, all have PCRs and with none of the problems the ODNR keep refering to, which is holding it up from being allowed.

Bowhunter57

Last edited:

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Black Powder Cartridge Rifles. Calipers like 45-70, 40-65, 38-55 calibers that were originally black powder. 30-30 wouldn't qualify.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I used the 44 Mag pistol with solid lead bullets on 22 deer in Ohio. Plus one with a 45LC with lead bullets.
I have in the past used the 45-70 rifle on Crop Control deer permits. I would love to use the 45-70 rifle during regular deer season. Pistol rounds in a rifle would be great as I have used them on Crop Control permits. And gee dead is dead and there is no too dead.
Maybe some day in OH. It is my understanding the ODNR big hangup is the 3 shot rule. Stupid rule as it is it will never go away. The ODNR doesn't seem to have a problem with single shot rifles in vintage BPCR rounds but history will show they are just slow in acting.
Frank