Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Monster bucks found locked on Dream Season

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Stan Potts is a dandy.....those were some good analogies of him..:smiley_bril:

I learned from my dad to never let things bother you that you cant control. I have done a pretty good job of this, and strive to take the posotives out of things in all situations, but THAT man just drives me crazy. IDK what it is, but I literally cant watch him hunt, atleast with sound on haha!

Ive gotten over the fact hunting is super commercialized now, and honestly I wish I would have been one of the guys who thought about doing it, living the dream, but thats ok. I just aint a big fan of soap operas.....if ya know what I mean. That aint selling anything, just makes him look dumb.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Yeah I agree. I love hunting more than anything, but I can't stand to watch and listen to some of the dumb shit that comes out of the mouths of most of these guys on TV. If I had never hunted before and was flipping through the channels and came across some of the crap on the hunting channel, I guarantee it would turn me off to hunting.

I will say there are some good guys out there that are worth watching and listening to, but there seems to be more garbage now than ever.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
In all fairness, Stan Potts does a nice job on NAW. I believe this is the show. When he is simply talking and in a non-hunting scenario he does a nice job to educate his audience. After he kills an animal. . . .yes, quite dramatic.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
In all fairness, Stan Potts does a nice job on NAW. I believe this is the show. When he is simply talking and in a non-hunting scenario he does a nice job to educate his audience. After he kills an animal. . . .yes, quite dramatic.

not trying to discredit you at all, but I have never heard him tell any information that is not common sense. He always will be like " find buck rubs, good buck rub lines, plus a good scrape, means deer are in the area, and things are happening, give me a second folks, find the tree, and GO kill em!" ....Really Stan thanks for the amazing tips buddy!

I really love midwestern whitetails, THATS A GREAT SHOW

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I really do enjow NAW. I'm not gonna lie, I would probably do the same as most of these guys in regards to repeating the obvious if I had a show. You can't expect them to divulge something everyone doesn't already know every week. Most people tuning in to their show have a decent idea what to do. I dare say most of us tune in to watch them kill deer, not really to hear them talk. Any one of us would be pimping our broadheads and bow brands if it paid for another dream hunt. I can live with it.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
not trying to discredit you at all, but I have never heard him tell any information that is not common sense. He always will be like " find buck rubs, good buck rub lines, plus a good scrape, means deer are in the area, and things are happening, give me a second folks, find the tree, and GO kill em!" ....Really Stan thanks for the amazing tips buddy!

I really love midwestern whitetails, THATS A GREAT SHOW

Yeah but who's the audience? He has to speak and give tips just like someone watching doesn't know shit about it. Unless he knows some magic tips that no one else has heard before, he is going to have a hard time coming up with something that guys, especially like most of us on here, have at least not heard once or twice before.

I bet folks that were just introduced to the sport could learn a lot by taking heed to his advice on some of the basics. Most I know just go climb a tree and hope for the best for the first year! :)

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I'm sure that "Stan the man" does all the scouting and hanging stands to kill all those cherry picked bucks that he shoots too.....yeah right!:smiley_depressive:

at1010

*Supporting Member*
good points brought up, but I think it would be helpful if he wants to talk about basics about deer bedding, what to look for trails, what to look for at fence crossings, creek crossing. Simple things that would help some guys, and maybe even advanced guys that they had just overlooked.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I'm not saying that I think Stan Potts is the greatest hunter ever, but I would rather here "look for rubs or scrapes" then I would "hey go buy this or that and you will kill giants", the product pimping just kills me on hunting shows, which is why I haven't turned one on in about a year!

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I'm sure that "Stan the man" does all the scouting and hanging stands to kill all those cherry picked bucks that he shoots too.....yeah right!:smiley_depressive:

Nah. I'd venture to say 90% of the hunts we see on tv, the shooter has no history or prior knowlege of the buck until they set foot on that property and was told about each deer

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I wouldnt go as far as saying 90%, but def alot of them do. We all know they go to outfitters, but who wouldn't go and kill a nice buck if you were "paid' to do it? All of us would.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I wouldnt go as far as saying 90%, but def alot of them do. We all know they go to outfitters, but who wouldn't go and kill a nice buck if you were "paid' to do it? All of us would.

Yes we would.. But we probably wouldn't act like we scored the winning goal in the Stanley Cup either. Couple years ago Lee and Tiff Hunted a neighboring property to the one I hunt that JD introduced me to.. It has some slammers on it and is really a smoking property that most would give their left nut to hunt. They left with their panties in a bunch and never came back.. Well, sorry you had to actually hunt for a booner and put in the time and it didn't happen the few days you hunted.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Nah. I'd venture to say 90% of the hunts we see on tv, the shooter has no history or prior knowlege of the buck until they set foot on that property and was told about each deer

Thats where the "yeah right" comes into play. I know damn well most of these guys aren't doing the legwork....not all of them, but most of them.

And don't even get me started on these high fence guys like Kieth Warren, Jimmy Steger and the rest of those clowns...going around acting like they are great hunters.

runhunter

See Jack, that's what I mean. These guys always say, "we hunted hard for 6 days and killed a 173".. Or we went 2 whole days without seeing a deer. Come to NJ man, kill a 120" on the over crowded state property, and I'll be impressed. a 120" on state land here is equivalent to a booner in the midwest. They are here, there's no doubt, but they are few and far between. I'm not crying the blues about NJ, but you can't help but get irritated when you hear things like that. Stay in Iowa then Lee/Tiff, do us all a favor. Do it here, or in Michigan, New York, consistently, and you're getting it done.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Yes we would.. But we probably wouldn't act like we scored the winning goal in the Stanley Cup either. Couple years ago Lee and Tiff Hunted a neighboring property to the one I hunt that JD introduced me to.. It has some slammers on it and is really a smoking property that most would give their left nut to hunt. They left with their panties in a bunch and never came back.. Well, sorry you had to actually hunt for a booner and put in the time and it didn't happen the few days you hunted.

Yeah, they left dejected because they not only failed to kill a magnum buck but they're also prolly peeved they saw it as wasted time as they could have been hunting another state or province during that same time where odds were better. Lol

Last edited:

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
If ever come across two button bucks locked in battle.........

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Or they had no TV program to film and air. They are good hunters I am sure but they are TV stars to.
Frank

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
saw a video about this time last year. i think it was from texas.
A rancher came a cross a couple locked up bucks, went to his truck, brought out a rifle. He walks up to the bucks, raises his rifle, aims...

... I was thinking to myself, "you asshole, Just gonna shoot them like fish in a barrel!?"

... nope, He shoots one of their antlers off and both bucks pop up and run off. It was crazy.