Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What Ever Happened To The "Can" Call?

steveOh

Dayton Area
After watching the various hunting shows this past season I noticed that hardly any show had the hunter using the "Can", doe in heat bleat call. I have had some luck drawing in bucks (mostly youngsters) and the occasional doe in the past. I also have had deer run away from me when I used it!

Does anybody use the Can anymore? Have you had any luck with it or have you tossed it in your junk drawer??

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I have used it many times, never had a deer run. I have had deer pay no attention to it at all though,not even pick their heads up, but never run hahah that had to make yea feel bad.

I dont use calls to much, but I think mines still in my backpack.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Still have mine in my hunting pack. I don't use calls much but like to think they work lol. Never seen anything run away from the can but on the other side of the coin it hasn't brought anything in the few times I have used it either lol.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Still carry mine, but don't use it that much. Same at the others, I've just called in small bucks and does with it. Killed a doe once after she walked away and I blew through the little hole on the bottom to make a different bleating sound. She came right back in and I pole axed her at 30 steps. Pretty sure that wasn't the intended use!!! lmao

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
The "can" is still my favorite call. Hardly use it but when I do it is usually effective for curiousity.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Still got mine and it helped bring in my double drop buck. I'm not a promos fan boy but I got his attention with the buck roar and got him to head my direction with the can.

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
I have tried a couple different ones with not much luck. For the most part they now just sit in the junk pile. Some friends swear by them. No luck here though.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I've called in many a doe with it and 2 shooters that now reside on my wall. One was an opening day buck that I turned around. If I'm looking to call a doe I like the little black doe bleat call that Primos sells. It sounds so realistic and always works. I honestly rarely call anymore. I used to call way too much in my earlier days

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I like the can call but carrying the fuggar and climbing the tree with it without it making unwanted sounds can be abit stressful.haha. I used some camo duct tape over the holes to help smother it which worked a little but it still made some calls, just not as loud.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I like the can call but carrying the fuggar and climbing the tree with it without it making unwanted sounds can be abit stressful.haha. I used some camo duct tape over the holes to help smother it which worked a little but it still made some calls, just not as loud.

Sounded like a sick duck in my backpack. Every step. Wonk. Wonk, wonk, wonk lmao

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
After watching the various hunting shows this past season I noticed that hardly any show had the hunter using the "Can", doe in heat bleat call. I have had some luck drawing in bucks (mostly youngsters) and the occasional doe in the past. I also have had deer run away from me when I used it!

Does anybody use the Can anymore? Have you had any luck with it or have you tossed it in your junk drawer??

That's probably because they only really feature the products that they're pimping.

There was a link on here to a really, really good Youtube video where this guy was sitting at his desk showing how to use the can to make the right sounds...anybody remember that thread or got a link to it? That was very informative, but I stink at searching this site for old stuff. But it's here, I know...