Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Young guys and motorcycles.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I understand the attraction of bikes but any of you young guys with them please be careful. In the last month I know 3 boys 22 and 23 years old that were in serious accidents with them.

A month ago tomorrow the 22 year old son of my wife's co-worker hit a car. He has been in a comma ever since. He was just commissioned as a second lieutenant in the Army after finishing ROTC.

Last week at the Columbiana co fair during a motocross race the son of a good friend's friend was paralyzed in an accident, he's 22.

Finally at 6:30 this morning a very close friend texted that his son wasn't expected to live after an accident early Monday morning. This boy was in medical school at OU and is only 23. Don't have many details of the accident but he wasn't wearing a helmet.

All these are good kids with bright futures. It's been a tough month but today is the hardest.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Amen!

When I was In the army my neighbor died on a bike. No fault of his own as a car pulled out in front of him. He left a wife and two small kids. After seeing her try to live without him you'll never get me on one. It's not a question of when, it's how bad.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I come from a family of bike riders. I have a Harley waiting on me. Won't touch it. Always had a feeling I would die on a bike. Strange as I have no fear of them just a premonition...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've always been around bikes, and my dad has always had at least one, but you'll never see me own one. Nothing against guys/gals that do... It's just another one of those things that I don't see being worth the risk. As Joe said, it's not a matter of if... It's a matter of when, and how bad. A year ago July 21st, one of my step-cousins was killed on his motorcycle while riding to work. He grew up on bikes and was a bike mechanic by trade. He was only 20 years old.

Last edited:

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
I have always grown up on motorcycles. I have fond memory's as a kid riding with dad, and continue passing it on to my children. when I turned 15 dad gave me my first basket case to work on with him and ever since then I have always had at least one in the garage. Don't think it will ever get out of my blood.

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
I have rode bikes most of my life, and agree with Joe, its not a matter of if , its a matter of when and how bad. I sold my last Harley 2 years ago and still miss riding but as I have got older I just started thinking about the " what if" alot more. I got lucky and never had a bad accident but have had road rash acouple of times. I just cringe when I see some of these younger riders acting crazy on their crotch rockets.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Had a GSXR 750. Flopped it doing a wheelie going around 80mph. My wife was 8.5 months pregnant. That was enough broken bones and road rash to keep me off of em for good.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have been fortunate. Pretty much the reason why I rarely ride on the road anymore are falling asleep right now. Three kids and a wife have me more conservative than I ever would have imagined. I still love getting the dirt bike out, but even that is a rarity anymore.

I am sorry to hear it Sam.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Lost my father in law A few years ago after a car pulled out in front of him on his way home from work. I never had the desire to ride, but probably the one thing my wife would now forbid me to own.

Those that ride be safe and be alert!

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Grew up on 2 wheels for a good part of my youth. After being married for a couple years got my first Harley and rode the thing ever chance I got. Had over 6000 miles on it the first summer I had it. Sold it two springs ago because we where on hard times and needed the money. Miss it a lot and love to hear the sound of rolling thunder. Had a couple of close calls but never had to lay it down. I am hoping to have one again, but that won't happen till the kids are out of the house.

Sorry to hear about your friends Sam. It is never easy to hear about this stuff. Prayers for the family and a recovery.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
My dad always had a bike when I was a kid. He even built me a mini bike and painted it up just like his and we would ride together. He was also a volunteer fireman and I remember one summer there was a stretch where there were 4 motorcycle fatalities he was on scene for. Nobody we really knew but it was enough for him to sell his bike. I got a few friends who ride and I know I'd enjoy it but waking up each morning to see my boys smile trumps anything that would jeapordize that

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Sorry too hear of all the fatalities Sam.... Kids do have that immortal thought process down don't they..... I have a hard enough time keeping the 4 wheelers tires on the ground at all times let alone a two wheeler.... Thoughts and prayers too the families.....

Buckmaster

Portage
My son asked me last night if Daddy likes motorcycles. I told him all the reasons why I would never own one. Hopefully he takes heed in my advice.