Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Body language

tuffshot

The Crew
As a deer enters your stand area, have you every just watched their body language. This subject is not discussed too much or enuff in my opinion. Every encounter is different even with the best scent control. Every year there will be those who will miss their intended target and sometimes understanding why may help with future encounters and shot opportunities.

A single deer's body language can be read much easier than small group. Within a group of 2 or more one deer is usually more on the alert, such as a doe with fawn or multiple does with fawns. Watching them can be a real education on body language and pin pointing the most alert deer can be benificial if a shot opportunity arises. As deer feed towrds the stand try and detect a differance in their walk or stance. I have seen many who were just feeding along and then stop in their tracks and look around while the others feed. It is not always a buck coming that makes them stop like this. From a flick of the tail to the tick of the ears there is something going on and they are telegraphing their next move.

Stance is also part of the language, even while feeding there can be an uneasiness. Everything from a wide stance (front to back) to the ever telling foot stomp has meaning. To me it is like reading human body language only it is not trying to find out whether they are lieing or not.

Any observations or input may help others in their success this coming season.

ohio
I couldn't agree more, two seasons ago I saw something I'd never seen, had been after a certain buck, had finally narrowed down his movement and I knew this was the morning, daybreak I see him he comes into an opening behind me wind in my favor heading my way, his 6th sense kicked in I guess and he backed up Prolly 15yds and went the other way, I had never seen this before.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Great topic before the season gets here! Wish I had something more to add, but look forward to reading other responses.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I agree, great thread.

One thing I know about deer body language is once you start getting the head bobbing up and down, that usually means they see you and you are done for the most part.

ohio
Not entirely, I've had them do that and I think they keep looking cause something is out of place, twitch and your done, stay calm don't move and you will be fine, one of my stands is on the crest of a trail, its happened a million times but never been blown out of there

tuffshot

The Crew
There is a differance between when they see another deer and when they sence something is not right. Such as the stiff legged walk. To be able to differenciate between when they sence another deer and an unfamiliar oder has a seperate body language. If this changes as they close in towards the stand then setting up for a shot opportunity has to be adjusted instead of waiting until a closer opportune moment. Even when they do not smell you from the stand, if they cross your trail their movements will change.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
One thing I look for is the wag of their tail. After looking for something, head raising, bobbing etc, once they shake it off and are satisfied they wag their tail. If I don't see a tail wag I know it's a trick, they are simply going about their business for a few seconds before they whip their head back and stare again. It's the old "I'm not looking, I'm not looking, LOOKING" Once the foot stomp doesn't work they try the old I'm not looking fake out. So don;t think just because they looked away, or they put their head down to feed that they're done. But if they wag their tail they've shaken it off and are back to normal

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
One thing I look for is the wag of their tail. After looking for something, head raising, bobbing etc, once they shake it off and are satisfied they wag their tail. If I don't see a tail wag I know it's a trick, they are simply going about their business for a few seconds before they whip their head back and stare again. It's the old "I'm not looking, I'm not looking, LOOKING" Once the foot stomp doesn't work they try the old I'm not looking fake out. So don;t think just because they looked away, or they put their head down to feed that they're done. But if they wag their tail they've shaken it off and are back to normal

DITTO! Very good point Joe. The tail wag is a very good sign but you still have to keep still and move at opportune times though.

Great thread TOO!

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I have always thought the same thing about the tail wag. to me its like a relaxed move, if its tucked and they are still milling, they are on alert

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia

That's been my observation as well. Kind of like with a dog. If he doesn't wag his tail, I'm worried. But if it wags, no worries...

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The feeding stance is also a good indicator as mentioned above earlier. You can notice it in some of your TC pics or videos occasionally. If they got them feet spread out abit they aren't exactly comfortable but if they got them under them and that tail flickers alittle while they eat their guard is down somewhat. Imo

ohio
I agree, and I read an article in the new deer and deer hunting about agressive bucks, and watching their form on tc. So I went back a couple years and watched a bunch of videos, if you blind grunt at an aggressive buck they will come