Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

favorite grunt tube

at1010

*Supporting Member*
ok so here is a question, when do you all start grunting?

do you blind grunt?

Do you only grunt when you see a buck?

Do you grunt at a buck early season if you cannot get him to come in?

jeremy44230

Medina County
Used MAD growl until my buddy made me one of his custom grunts. Sound real nice.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344039437.211865.jpg

Pretty cool since they are hand turned. Got a few different ones, different shapes and woods.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Really? I think my primos is louder than my. Buck roar

Wayne, maybe Steve was talking about the different tones not just the volume. I also have the Primos Growl and it's a nice call as well.

Speaking of deer vocalizations, many moons ago I went to a seminar that featured Bob McGuire and Butch Todd that I found very interesting. I think Bob was one of the first to start studying deer vocalizations back then. His book Bowhunting October Whitetails is still one of the best reads ever published.IMO

Often wonder whatever happened to him? Maybe Mike knows!

ohio
Wayne, maybe Steve was talking about the different tones not just the volume. I also have the Primos Growl and it's a nice call as well.

Speaking of deer vocalizations, many moons ago I went to a seminar that featured Bob McGuire and Butch Todd that I found very interesting. I think Bob was one of the first to start studying deer vocalizations back then. His book Bowhunting October Whitetails is still one of the best reads ever published.IMO

Often wonder whatever happened to him? Maybe Mike knows!

I've thumbed through it, not really a reader, but that's why I use my calls from opener to closer deer vocalize all year

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Really? I think my primos is louder than my. Buck roar

Primos makes the buck roar, and Mad makes the buck growl. The loudness of the buckroar is definitely one of the things I like about it. You can blow on that thing pretty good and don't start to sound quacky like a duck call.

I try to never blind grunt while hunting. I figure the less noise I am making the better the chance they don't know I am there. I really only grunt at a deer if I realize they are not going to be coming into shooting range.