Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

drawings

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I finally was able to put my name in for 6 or 7 drawing hunts today.

This is my first year doing this so how do I know if I get drawn?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I finally was able to put my name in for 6 or 7 drawing hunts today.

This is my first year doing this so how do I know if I get drawn?

The ODNR will post the list of winners on their website after the names have been drawn. If drawn, you'll also receive confirmation in the mail, which will contain your instructions for the hunt(s). Good luck!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Are these hunts worth it,if your trophy hunting?never done one before...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

The "Big 3" gun hunts... NASA Plumbrook, Ravenna Arsenal, and Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge all have trophy-caliber bucks running around. The hunting pressure is minimal and the areas are thick as hell. I wouldn't say that there are monster bucks behind every tree, but your odds of getting a BBBC buck are WAY higher on one of these hunts than hunting anywhere else in Ohio... Just my opinion.

Certain ones like Ravenna and plum brook are fenced areas and the deer aren't eligible for BBB, B&C or P&Y

Correct. You can't enter any bucks from these areas into the books.... but Booners do exist inside the fences.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I put in for the hunts at the Travel Research center....I think it's the Honda plant in Marysville. First time ever trying but for 3 bucks a pop its worth a shot.

Does anybody know for sure if you are already tagged out with your buck if you can kill a buck on a controlled hunt? I am figuring the answer is no, but not 100% sure.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I put in for the hunts at the Travel Research center....I think it's the Honda plant in Marysville. First time ever trying but for 3 bucks a pop its worth a shot.

Does anybody know for sure if you are already tagged out with your buck if you can kill a buck on a controlled hunt? I am figuring the answer is no, but not 100% sure.

Only 1 buck per season, whether you shoot it during a controlled hunt or not.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Only 1 buck per season, whether you shoot it during a controlled hunt or not.

Thanks Jim. I plan on being tagged out by then, but if you get selected you can bring a buddy along to hunt....at least I could take somebody there that still needs a buck.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks Jim. I plan on being tagged out by then, but if you get selected you can bring a buddy along to hunt....at least I could take somebody there that still needs a buck.

Well actually that may not work either. Only the person whose name was drawn gets to kill a buck... I believe the hunting partner is only allowed to shoot does. This is how NASA was set up at least... I'm not 100% sure about Ravenna or Ottawa.

Schu72

Streetsboro
Well actually that may not work either. Only the person whose name was drawn gets to kill a buck... I believe the hunting partner is only allowed to shoot does. This is how NASA was set up at least... I'm not 100% sure about Ravenna or Ottawa.

At NASA both can shoot a buck or doe. Also....you could always transfer the permit into someone else's name if drawn on a one buck per pair type hunt.

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
There a lot of bruisers running around in Ravenna and I have seen many of them only too watch them walk/trott on by since it was a antlerless only hunt.... Talk about the ultimate frustration..... Watching a 170-180 walk on by like he owns the place with a 12 ga. and three shells in it and a scope sighted in for 100 yards and they're 30 yards from you..... :tantrum: :smiley_coolpeace:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
At NASA both can shoot a buck or doe. Also....you could always transfer the permit into someone else's name if drawn on a one buck per pair type hunt.

That must have changed since the last time I checked. Thanks for clearing that up, Schu.

Schu72

Streetsboro
That must have changed since the last time I checked. Thanks for clearing that up, Schu.

I was just over on the ODNR site...it looks like quite a few of the hunts have gone to either sex deer for both hunters. Ravenna is still one buck per pair.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I was just over on the ODNR site...it looks like quite a few of the hunts have gone to either sex deer for both hunters. Ravenna is still one buck per pair.

That's cool... Definitely adds to the incentive for hunters to apply for these hunts.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I was drawn for a the Crane Naval Base deer hunt in Southern Indiana a few years ago and it was a 1 day hunt. There was no scouting allowed ahead of time and you had very strict orders on where you could go and when you could go in and had to be out. I never saw any bucks, and not alot of deer either, but ended up killing a button buck in the late afternoon. When I went to the check in area at the end of the day there were some hellacious bucks killed in there that day! Some real dandies. I would imagine some of these hunts would have the same type of deer running around.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I was drawn for a the Crane Naval Base deer hunt in Southern Indiana a few years ago and it was a 1 day hunt. There was no scouting allowed ahead of time and you had very strict orders on where you could go and when you could go in and had to be out. I never saw any bucks, and not alot of deer either, but ended up killing a button buck in the late afternoon. When I went to the check in area at the end of the day there were some hellacious bucks killed in there that day! Some real dandies. I would imagine some of these hunts would have the same type of deer running around.

Ravenna has always produced quality bucks on their hunts, I always enjoyed hanging out at the check in station where everyone has too go through too leave weather you we're successful of not and there's always some really nice deer being checked in, the DNR is ussually there to ck it for age and CWD.....

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
the Salt Fork draw is for buck or doe for either person and is to draw for an area in some of the no hunting zones of the park, if you are drawn you get assigned an "area" and it is yours for the entire season, bow only, and there is some monsters in that park!!